Tiny Snails Constantly Getting in MP40s and Making Noise

Discussion in 'EcoTech Marine' started by CMO, May 15, 2019.

1. CMO

CMO Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Anyone have any ideas to deal with this? I've been running these for over a year now with no problems but for about the last month or so I have tiny snails constantly getting inside the propeller assembly creating all sorts of noise. I'm currently having to disassemble the wet side daily to clean out the snails. I can't take this much longer. Any ideas?

TheHarold likes this.

2. TheHarold

TheHarold Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Same.... on my MP60s I have to take wet side out weekly to remove small snails. Pain in the butt.

CMO likes this.
  3. jschultzbass

jschultzbass Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

Same, with my Gyre 250s. Dang snails making snail babies!

CMO likes this.
  4. CMO

CMO Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Do you guys find that this is a seasonal issue or is it constant once it starts?

5. TheHarold

TheHarold Valuable Member R2R Supporter

More correlated with nutrients IMO. High nutrients= spike in population of tiny snails.

6. Bradley Keck

Bradley Keck Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

OK, I'm cracked up by this as I too just had to disassemble one of my Gyre 250's that had two small snails lodged in it. My nitrate and phos have been at or around 0 for several months, but just noticed an explosion of snails recently. Just started my tank in august of 2018 so this is a first for me. How funny. Makes you wonder why now all of sudden. Must be something in the air;)

7. Bradley Keck

OK, I'm cracked up by this as I too just had to disassemble one of my Gyre 250's that had two small snails lodged in it. My nitrate and phos have been at or around 0 for several months, but just noticed an explosion of snails recently. Just started my tank in august of 2018 so this is a first for me. How funny. Makes you wonder why now all of sudden. Must be something in the air;)

8. Bradley Keck

9. Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

yup, constant battle. about every other day when I wake up I have to disassemble one of my wet sides to remove snails...sometimes a dozen of the stupid things.

10. tautog83

tautog83 Valuable Member

Ya the trochus are like rabbits ..lol I bought 10 originally , with the lights out yesterday I counted 64. So time to give some to lfs and friends

Draft saved Draft deleted