Tiny Snails Constantly Getting in MP40s and Making Noise

  • Thread starter Thread starter CMO
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 13, 2017
Messages
1,685
Reaction score
1,773
Location
Nevada City
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any ideas to deal with this? I've been running these for over a year now with no problems but for about the last month or so I have tiny snails constantly getting inside the propeller assembly creating all sorts of noise. I'm currently having to disassemble the wet side daily to clean out the snails. I can't take this much longer. Any ideas?
 
Same.... on my MP60s I have to take wet side out weekly to remove small snails. Pain in the butt.
 
Do you guys find that this is a seasonal issue or is it constant once it starts?
 
Do you guys find that this is a seasonal issue or is it constant once it starts?

More correlated with nutrients IMO. High nutrients= spike in population of tiny snails.
 
OK, I'm cracked up by this as I too just had to disassemble one of my Gyre 250's that had two small snails lodged in it. My nitrate and phos have been at or around 0 for several months, but just noticed an explosion of snails recently. Just started my tank in august of 2018 so this is a first for me. How funny. Makes you wonder why now all of sudden. Must be something in the air;)
 
OK, I'm cracked up by this as I too just had to disassemble one of my Gyre 250's that had two small snails lodged in it. My nitrate and phos have been at or around 0 for several months, but just noticed an explosion of snails recently. Just started my tank in august of 2018 so this is a first for me. How funny. Makes you wonder why now all of sudden. Must be something in the air;)
 
OK, I'm cracked up by this as I too just had to disassemble one of my Gyre 250's that had two small snails lodged in it. My nitrate and phos have been at or around 0 for several months, but just noticed an explosion of snails recently. Just started my tank in august of 2018 so this is a first for me. How funny. Makes you wonder why now all of sudden. Must be something in the air;)
 
yup, constant battle. about every other day when I wake up I have to disassemble one of my wet sides to remove snails...sometimes a dozen of the stupid things.
 
Ya the trochus are like rabbits ..lol I bought 10 originally , with the lights out yesterday I counted 64. So time to give some to lfs and friends
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new