Tiny Snails Constantly Getting in MP40s and Making Noise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any ideas to deal with this? I've been running these for over a year now with no problems but for about the last month or so I have tiny snails constantly getting inside the propeller assembly creating all sorts of noise. I'm currently having to disassemble the wet side daily to clean out the snails. I can't take this much longer. Any ideas?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same.... on my MP60s I have to take wet side out weekly to remove small snails. Pain in the butt.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys find that this is a seasonal issue or is it constant once it starts?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys find that this is a seasonal issue or is it constant once it starts?

More correlated with nutrients IMO. High nutrients= spike in population of tiny snails.

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm cracked up by this as I too just had to disassemble one of my Gyre 250's that had two small snails lodged in it. My nitrate and phos have been at or around 0 for several months, but just noticed an explosion of snails recently. Just started my tank in august of 2018 so this is a first for me. How funny. Makes you wonder why now all of sudden. Must be something in the air;)

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm cracked up by this as I too just had to disassemble one of my Gyre 250's that had two small snails lodged in it. My nitrate and phos have been at or around 0 for several months, but just noticed an explosion of snails recently. Just started my tank in august of 2018 so this is a first for me. How funny. Makes you wonder why now all of sudden. Must be something in the air;)

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, constant battle. about every other day when I wake up I have to disassemble one of my wet sides to remove snails...sometimes a dozen of the stupid things.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ya the trochus are like rabbits ..lol I bought 10 originally , with the lights out yesterday I counted 64. So time to give some to lfs and friends

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back