Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes.

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final result. Took on board peoples recommendations and created more swim throughs and caves. Spent way too long on it, haha, but I love the result. :D

Lighting in the photo is LED only, it's brighter with the T5s on ;)

DSC08376_zpskptntsea.jpg
Awesome aquascape! Looks natural and gives you plenty of areas to add coral

Gravityreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up R2R Reefers. Well got the tank up and running now for a few weeks now. It's been a year since I joined and finally have her up. The good part about the long wait I had my rocks cooking for 9 months in saltwater with heat and pumps and finally put them in the DT. Here is a pick of the system.
20161028_235602.jpg

Gravityreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not have any dramatic ammonia spikes nor did I have any nitrate spike either the most I had was 2 ppm. I however have some brown diatoms all over my rocks my sand bed has two small area with brown diatoms.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the 180. I rescaped it bc I hated the way it looked the first time around n I love this much better and so does the fishes..check it out n let me know was it a good move.
1479859163667.jpg

Looks good, but I'd remove the two rocks circled to give it more height variability. Make one side higher than the other.

On top of that, I'd try to lock down the scape with some epoxy to make it more permanent. Especially after you get corals growing, you'll want the stack to be stable. The way it looks now, it looks like it would tip fairly easily.

You_Doodle_2016-11-23T05_23_47Z.jpg

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing this out there.....I have a 93gal cube that I will be aquascaping soon. I've really enjoyed and have learned a lot from this particular thread, but haven't yet seen a scape that I really like in a cube. I'm looking for a more modern look with some open space(s). I have several pieces of tonga branch rock and pukani (from BRS), and need to get (and want to use in the scape) some flat pieces. Any ideas on how I should scape this? Can anyone share some cube scape they like? Thanks for any help or input!

epstein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing this out there.....I have a 93gal cube that I will be aquascaping soon. I've really enjoyed and have learned a lot from this particular thread, but haven't yet seen a scape that I really like in a cube. I'm looking for a more modern look with some open space(s). I have several pieces of tonga branch rock and pukani (from BRS), and need to get (and want to use in the scape) some flat pieces. Any ideas on how I should scape this? Can anyone share some cube scape they like? Thanks for any help or input!
Ahhh Cube scape.... What I did with my 150 is I taped out a space on my floor grabbed all of my dry live rock and made a center piece structure. This allowed me to build off of that and consider placement and flow. I used Marco rocks and his cement. there have been lil mods to the supporting pieces but the main structure has stayed the same. I can post pics if you would like.

TylerMoralez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh Cube scape.... What I did with my 150 is I taped out a space on my floor grabbed all of my dry live rock and made a center piece structure. This allowed me to build off of that and consider placement and flow. I used Marco rocks and his cement. there have been lil mods to the supporting pieces but the main structure has stayed the same. I can post pics if you would like.

Pics would be great!!! Can't wait to see them

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love some tips on scaping my 65 gallon tank. Currently also was thinking about purchasing some sort of glue or cement in order to bind the rocks together to create arches? Any ideas on this? The reef cement stuff doesn't seem to work well at all underwater..

IMG_0037.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love some tips on scaping my 65 gallon tank. Currently also was thinking about purchasing some sort of glue or cement in order to bind the rocks together to create arches? Any ideas on this? The reef cement stuff doesn't seem to work well at all underwater..

IMG_0037.jpg

I used hydraulic cement (quikrete water stop cement) and fiberglass driveway markers as rods to build my aquascape on my latest build. There's a thread on RC called "reef ceramics" is where I got the idea from.

IMG_0668.JPG

This was early on, I've since changed it a little.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used hydraulic cement (quikrete water stop cement) and fiberglass driveway markers as rods to build my aquascape on my latest build. There's a thread on RC called "reef ceramics" is where I got the idea from.

IMG_0668.JPG

This was early on, I've since changed it a little.
Would I be able to lift my live rocks up; sculpt them and put them back into my tank with little to no harm on my inhabitants? Is the cement non toxic and safe to a reef tank? It looks a lot better than the other cement stuff. I wonder if it can hold arches/ random aquascaping some of my rocks are heavy and just plain old flat and boring. Love your tank set up tho.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back