Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes.

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like my scapes to slope up from front to back because it looks more natural. If you could pull those bottom rocks out towards you (and put more rock behind them to support the bridge if necessary) you’d have a more natural look.

Right now, it looks like rocks stacked up. Try to make it lol like one rock structure. Fill in large gaps with little pieces so it looks cohesive.

I’d also try to work in a curve or an angle so everything isn’t linear.

Just my two cents.
Great feedback. Thank you. Just realized the sloping also gives me more room for corals and less shade.
So I tweaked a bit but probably needs more slope?

image.jpg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 125g in wall tank. I have other tanks and will be using the very aged ocean coraline rock. Most are about big hand size and others around two hand size and we bought many lbs of the white dead rock. My question from you and all others is, how do we incorporate the two different and types and shape into a aquascape, not looking "wow, that looks odd". lol
Are the 2 types of rock shaped very different? Like Tonga branch and Fiji live rock?

If it's just the color, give it 6 months and they should all be similar.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great feedback. Thank you. Just realized the sloping also gives me more room for corals and less shade.
So I tweaked a bit but probably needs more slope?

image.jpg

Exactly! You can defy gravity a bit if you use epoxy (and superglue on the surface of it) to hold things together. That will allow you to lean the rocks out further if your base is sturdy enough. Slide the rocks incircles in red to the left leaning out and floating. Then you’ll achieve angles that aren’t vertical on the ends of your stacks (see yellow lines). Again, you’ll likely need epoxy to do this.

My remaining critiques are that your structures a a little too top heavy, they are too similar in size, I’d probably angle each stack a little more, and I’d glue in rubble rock between the joints when you get everything in place (see blue highlights). That will round out your caves too.

Please don’t take this as negative criticism. These are just some things I’d do if it were me.

2998d731ec2b6f5886322db29ba49d21.jpg

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
image.jpg
Exactly! You can defy gravity a bit if you use epoxy (and superglue on the surface of it) to hold things together. That will allow you to lean the rocks out further if your base is sturdy enough. Slide the rocks incircles in red to the left leaning out and floating. Then you’ll achieve angles that aren’t vertical on the ends of your stacks (see yellow lines). Again, you’ll likely need epoxy to do this.

My remaining critiques are that your structures a a little too top heavy, they are too similar in size, I’d probably angle each stack a little more, and I’d glue in rubble rock between the joints when you get everything in place (see blue highlights). That will round out your caves too.

Please don’t take this as negative criticism. These are just some things I’d do if it were me.

2998d731ec2b6f5886322db29ba49d21.jpg
The feedback is great so please dont every apologize for it.
I thought they looked too similar as well so redid it all. What do you think now?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce, that's what I was thinking. At least on the left side, I was to have a slope-up design, and not just a vertical wall, so the way the white dead rock is formed, it can easly be stacked on top of each other. Then I can use the real ocean reef rock in the usual manor, with it's rounder shape. Once corals, mushrooms etc, are on the slopping white rock, they will hide and blend in together. HOPE,....anyway.

nycfishy, #2 looks best with the opening between the flat rock, over the two pieces just laying down on each other. I like as much openings as possible for apearance, but mostly for flow around all rock, so as no place of the aquascape is,....stagnent.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the 2 types of rock shaped very different? Like Tonga branch and Fiji live rock?

If it's just the color, give it 6 months and they should all be similar.

Yes, night & day. My ocean live rock was collected around 15 years ago from a previous reefer. I bougjt all she had in her 55g tank.
So it's typical roundish to flat, smoother and more dense where as the dead white rock is what BRS "Reef Saver" rock, almost "spiked"dead and more open

3833_rock3.jpg

000701-BRS-Reef-Saver-Dry-Live-Rock-c_1.jpg

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well folks, I have just finished going over every page of this thread. It’s packed full of great pics and great inspiration Thank you to all who have contributed. My tank has seen it’s better days, I’ve struggled with algae’s, bacteria’s, fish disease and everything else you could possibly think of the past 2 years or so. I’ve removed all my coral not completely attached and keep it in a 40 breeder for 6 months now. Only fish I have are those that have survived. Just about to throw in the towel and it finally seems like the display it hitting its stride. I agreed with my wife to move it across the room a few months back. This gives me the opportunity to switch it up. I am again super pumped. There’s nothing more gratifying than lounging in my leather chair next to a flourishing colorful explosion of tranquility! I have the opportunity to upgrade the scape and really find this interesting. Anyone have any side by side pics of scapes they posted in this thread beginning and now thriving with coral they can share? Also what challenges did you encounter directing flow trying to follow the rule of thirds? Thanks..

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the porous Reef Saver/Pukani type rock, but won't it collect a lot,....of detritus ?
I can imagine constantly, using a powerhead, baster etc, to blow the detritus out of all the holes., then trying o keep it suspended for be trapped by the filtration system

tux67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65e748545e3ccc540878a9579fcdb5ef.jpg

There is a scape in there, but after a delivery of NSW for my refurbished tank arrived I am now waiting to see it again. [emoji106] [emoji851]

molinast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the convict? any issues?
I’ve had him for like 3 months now. He was a bit on the thin side but he plumped up after a week on new life probiotics and reef frenzy.

I read it’s hit or miss with these guys but (knock on wood) doing good so far.

molinast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80C15A90-E098-45A4-87A8-991A1FC94496.jpeg
I’ve had him for like 3 months now. He was a bit on the thin side but he plumped up after a week on new life probiotics and reef frenzy.

I read it’s hit or miss with these guys but (knock on wood) doing good so far.
This everyone enjoying the new room.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back