Tips before I get an anemone?

DoINeedAName?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to ask what I should make sure I have and what water parameters I need for my tank before I get an anemone. Any care tips or tricks are appreciated.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wanted to ask what I should make sure I have and what water parameters I need for my tank before I get an anemone. Any care tips or tricks are appreciated.
Not a brand new tank (dry rock and sand), stable level parameters and decent lighting. I know it sounds like a broken record but you need to get through the ugly stage with diverse bacteria.

When you purchase one try and duplicate what the seller has done with lighting, flow and parameters.

And also curious what type of Nem as each have different requirements and do you currently have clowns that you’ll be attempting to host in?

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 months plus tank
when you put it in leave it alone and try not to touch it at all
wait one week before feeding it but only feed it a piece of shrimp the size of its mouth as not to over feed
they also like to be placed in crevices in the rock
and i also agree with all above

OP
OP
D

DoINeedAName?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a brand new tank (dry rock and sand), stable level parameters and decent lighting. I know it sounds like a broken record but you need to get through the ugly stage with diverse bacteria.

When you purchase one try and duplicate what the seller has done with lighting, flow and parameters.

And also curious what type of Nem as each have different requirements and do you currently have clowns that you’ll be attempting to host in?
Probably a Haitian Nem first but if that goes well and after a while we might try also have a Bubble tip Nem

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a Haitian Nem first but if that goes well and after a while we might try also have a Bubble tip Nem

Ok. The main thing is not letting them get into a wavemaker while they first attach. After that, they move whete they want (you can place them somewhere at first and see if they stay). Bubble tips or condy anemones are easy. I have gone from 2 to 50 plus bubbletips in 2 years. They get decent flow, about 150 par (they move), moderate water movement, and catch food when I broadcast feed)

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Mature tank, at least 6 months plus, preferably as much as a year.
  • All inlets/pumps protected with foam or anemone guards, as your 'nem will find its way eventually to these.
  • Don't try to over manage any anemone, as it will position itself where it feels comfortable, which is usually completely out of view of the owner. :)
  • Match the species of anemone with what you can provide it in terms of environment (sand bed/bare bottom),water quality, and equipment (especially lighting and its PAR/relation to depth of tank). This means doing homework. Easiest species are bubble tips and rock anemones, but these are by no means "easy".
  • Stability is more important that absolute level of your parameters.
  • If you expect to host clowns, match as best you can the species of clown to that of anemone which is known to host in the wild. And then don't expect either to read the manual. :)
  • Expect anemones to potentially conflict with corals.
  • Expect aggressive anemones to eat sick/small/random fish.
  • Make sure to eliminate/keep out potential predators of anemones (peppermint shrimp, bristle worms, etc).
If you you are wanting the main purpose of your tank to be anemones rather than a mixed coral tank, I strongly recommend starting with live rock rather than dry, as a lack of encrusting/competing specimens for the better part of a year will make it very difficult to manage the uglies/algae/health of the rock. The flip side is you must make sure you cure live rock and dip it in hyper saline water (1.035+) to make sure you evacuate anything that might nibble on your 'nems when you eventually transfer them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back