Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cynthia, great article. I've used forums off and on for the last 10 or 15 years. I've got away from it the last year or two, so technology is getting ahead of me. How do i up load a picture or a video? If nothing else could you send me the right link?
Thanks, Raymond

Hi Raymond. Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure this information can be found elsewhere, but I'm just going to tell you right here!

For a video, the main thing you have to know is the video needs to be "hosted" somewhere. There are lots of places you can do that for free. Most of us just upload it to youtube. Once it's uploaded somewhere, all you need is the URL or address of where the video lives, and you can just copy and paste that URL in your message. For example, on youtube, here's a screenshot of a video that I love. Look at the top, and you'll see the URL. That's what you copy and paste into your message. The video will be automatically embedded.

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 7.27.32 AM.png

And here's the actual video:

For photos:

What you do is click on "Upload a File" (see screenshot below)

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 7.33.41 AM.png

Then you choose whatever photo file you want. Here's me choosing a screenshot from my computer.

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 7.35.26 AM.png

Then if you look further below, you will see that the photo files are uploaded.

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 7.35.53 AM.png

So, you put your cursor wherever you want the photo to appear in the message, and click on full image.

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 7.36.12 AM.png

Now your photo will be visible in the message. You'll get used to it. It may feel cumbersome at first, but it will become second nature. Then you just click on "Post Reply" when you're ready to publish your message or comment.

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 7.42.43 AM.png

Seffner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Seawitch, I enjoyed your post. Since I've only been on here for a couple of weeks, I thought I would offer up a couple of other ways I found to get more out of the board.

Use the search feature at the top right to find topics you are particularly interested in. I entered the names of specific fish I am interested in, types of equipment some people mentioned so I could find out more about them, names of vendors I was unfamiliar with, and event "cigars". All came up with multiple results that took me to threads that I spent reading.

Along the same lines, click on the "FORUMS" tab at the top left and browse through things. That's how I found this thread.

Anyway, like most things I believe you will get out of the experience what you put into it, so the more active you are, the more others will respond.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefSquad @mods not sure which team to ask this question. Being somewhat new to R2R and totally new to forums my question relates to thread attachments. Why is it when some thread posters add a pic/video to their thread a small thumbnail of it appears, I click on it and see the full item/video. Other attachments don’t appear to open or play. is it how the item was attached or is it how my ipad is setup?

an example is this thread on my iPad I see all the photos as “name.jpg” but no pics and 2x clicking doesn’t open them.

HUGE USED EQUIPMENT SALE! Ecotech MP40wQD, L1,M1, RMS, AI Hydra 26 HD, Maxspect Gyre, Nyos, Reef Octopus, Sicce, Milwaukee and much more

edit...well guess I got @ address for mods wrong and didn’t paste thread link right either...sorry still learning the ropes

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefSquad @mods not sure which team to ask this question. Being somewhat new to R2R and totally new to forums my question relates to thread attachments. Why is it when some thread posters add a pic/video to their thread a small thumbnail of it appears, I click on it and see the full item/video. Other attachments don’t appear to open or play. is it how the item was attached or is it how my ipad is setup?

an example is this thread on my iPad I see all the photos as “name.jpg” but no pics and 2x clicking doesn’t open them.

HUGE USED EQUIPMENT SALE! Ecotech MP40wQD, L1,M1, RMS, AI Hydra 26 HD, Maxspect Gyre, Nyos, Reef Octopus, Sicce, Milwaukee and much more

edit...well guess I got @ address for mods wrong and didn’t paste thread link right either...sorry still learning the ropes
A lot of it has to do with what was used to download it, whether it be PC, Apple, or Android, and what you are using to look at it. I, sometimes, have a hard time downloading videos as some people can see it while others can't. We have brought this up to @revhtree, and I am also sure he is aware of it himself, and hopefully we can find a solution. The problem is, I feel, is that their are so many platforms out there now that don't like working with each other.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of it has to do with what was used to download it, whether it be PC, Apple, or Android, and what you are using to look at it. I, sometimes, have a hard time downloading videos as some people can see it while others can't. We have brought this up to @revhtree, and I am also sure he is aware of it himself, and hopefully we can find a solution. The problem is, I feel, is that their are so many platforms out there now that don't like working with each other.
Thanks for the response, that makes sense. I find iPad a bit clunky for things I can do quickly on my windows computer at work but it’s all I have at home for the moment so wanted to be sure it wasn’t me doing a ;Facepalm

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It depends on device, and tools used with the device. Its frutrating yes but some people download in Jpeg, some in other formats which may Not work.
It should be as simple attaching photos but its unfortunaely a process

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to r2r and not best with tech but press "message icon "top of screen next to round avatar then press " new conversation " then start typing in first letters of someones user name and then list of all members names comes up with them letters in so can send message.
There probably a easiet way of pressing on someones avatar/name and sending message probably but idk sorry

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, it's helpful!
I'm a new in sponsor, I am looking up the way to send private messages to others.
Is there any way?
Im new to r2r and not best with tech but press "message icon "top of screen next to round avatar then press " new conversation " then start typing in first letters of someones user name and then list of all members names comes up with them letters in so can send message.
There probably a easiet way of pressing on someones avatar/name and sending message probably but idk sorry
if you click someone's avatar/name, then you can start 'new conversation' which means private message

if you hover over someone's avatar/name then you'll see 'sneak peek' of that person

Jaws1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips. I guess I need to post something in the forum to "activate" my account, so I hope this works!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back