Tips on helping this coral recover

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, if you've seen my build thread you may remember that my tank is a rescue tank that has many "recovering" corals. A lot of that is struggling corals from my own noobie past but I also have struggling corals that I either buy at a discount from LFS, or get for free from local reefer.

The one below is one im currently working on. It was marketed in the LFS as a lobo so I have been caring for it as such. Currently its at the bottom close to my other lobo colony for about a month but it has not responded at all (it didn't really get worse either).

More online research today led me to believe maybe this is not a lobo and is a symphylia instead? There doesn't seem to be a ton of reference on proper care and even Thanh from TG admits he has issues with this species.

The only other thing I could think of is that bc of its shape, sand gets stuck in it a lot more frequently than the healthy lobo colony next to it. I have blow it off every few days.

Currently I target feed 2x to 3x a week (it doesn't respond well to feeding) and dose amino weekly. I havent moved it bc i didn't want to stress it out but it has med flow at about 120 PAR during a 6 hr peak.

Params stable at 9.5dkh, 475ca, 1350mg, 5no3, .02po4, 8.2ph so don't think its something systematic but something specific about this coral that im not doing right.

What do you guys think? Any tips if its really a symphylia and what else i could be doing?

Thanks.

20210124_162605.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s it look like 2 hours after dark?
All my brains/Trachs/syms only feed after dark when fully extending.
Does it do this?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back