Tips on TTM for Leopard Wrasse

JMLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After successful TTM quarantine of 2 borbonius anthias and 2 Wyoming whites I'm looking to add a leopard wrasse and wondering if TTM is the best way to quarantine one. If so what's your experience and suggestions. If not what's your opinion of the best way to quarantine one.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like TTM for wrasses. Just be sure to add prazi on transfers two and four since wrasses are very prone to worms

OP
OP
JMLewis

JMLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your thoughts about adding a container of sand? Obviously it would be new sand each time. But I've read that leopard wrasse will beat themselves up in a bare bottom tank. Not sure how true this is.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your thoughts about adding a container of sand? Obviously it would be new sand each time. But I've read that leopard wrasse will beat themselves up in a bare bottom tank. Not sure how true this is.

I have a small bag of dry sand that I use for wrasses in QT. I put it in a small plastic container for them to bury in. It's usually about a 1/2 cup... no more than a cup of sand.

OP
OP
JMLewis

JMLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small bag of dry sand that I use for wrasses in QT. I put it in a small plastic container for them to bury in. It's usually about a 1/2 cup... no more than a cup of sand.

OK sounds good thank you. I've also read they can be finicky eaters. I was thinking about hatching some live brine shrimp just incase. You have any experience with this?

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you find that sand burying wrasses in QT can have trouble finding the sand? I currently have a pencil wrasse that only found the container of sand upon initial introduction to the QT and not again since. It's been a week and I usually find him sleeping alongside the container of sand and not in it. I'm just curious what everyone's experience is with this. Sorry to hijack your thread.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK sounds good thank you. I've also read they can be finicky eaters. I was thinking about hatching some live brine shrimp just incase. You have any experience with this?

I do actually. It's so easy to do. I use an already made hatchery that makes it super simple. Though there are some DIY ones you can make pretty easy as well. Live foods will go a long way to enticing a picky eater. Just be careful putting the water from the hatchery into the tank as it can foul pretty quickly and smell something awful.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you find that sand burying wrasses in QT can have trouble finding the sand? I currently have a pencil wrasse that only found the container of sand upon initial introduction to the QT and not again since. It's been a week and I usually find him sleeping alongside the container of sand and not in it. I'm just curious what everyone's experience is with this. Sorry to hijack your thread.

I've had them do that and they eventually seek out the comfort of the sand. My last spent almost a week sleeping next to the container of sand just like you describe. She eventually went for the sand and spent most of her time in there after that.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A little sand in a glass pyrex bowl is fine. I prefer glass as it will not absorb meds in case you have to add meds (like Prazipro) to the water. Be sure to clean the pyrex bowl thoroughly before returning it to your wife's cupboard. ;)

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pick up 3 vermiculate wrasses and have them in a 55 QT.If i wanted to use a container of sand for them would 1 work for all 3?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pick up 3 vermiculate wrasses and have them in a 55 QT.If i wanted to use a container of sand for them would 1 work for all 3?

I would probably put a couple small containers of sand in there for them.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use a cycled qt for them with sand. It's much easier to get them to eat and just get used to tank life. I usually treat the prazi in that. I give them a month in there where I can blast them with food without worry of fowling the water. After that I move them to ttm. Some find the sand, some do not. Filling the container to the top helps. Also using one with straight sides all the way down also helps. I once used a container that curved in at the bottom creating a space they could hide in at the bottom of the bowl. So they went there instead of into the bowl.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for leopards live Blackworms or live brine is easiest. I wouldn't bother with hatching them is just too much work for the little benefit in my opinion. It's all about sustaining them until you can get them on frozen food. Multiple feedings through the day is key.

Rods and Larry's reef frenzy made it dramaticly easier for me to get them on frozen food the last couple I quarantined.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back