Tissue Necrosis or Brown Jelly?

Fishies :)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm seeing some fluffy beige spongey stuff on the corals when the polyps are closed. It looks to be tissue necrosis or something but if that's the case I'm not sure why the polyps seem fine on the corals? On the GSP I cut it off a few months ago thinking it could be brown jelly, and it grew back over so it seems sort of fixable or at least controllable on the GSP, although it didn't totally get rid of the issue.
I took pictures this morning before the polyps opened up so you can see what I mean, plus one of them with the polyps open. I've done a revive dip and cleansing on the GSP a few weeks ago and I'll probably do it again today but the Zoas are epoxied down so I'm hesitant to try to rip the frag off, plus they've grown over the frag when I originally stuck it on. The stuff is too sticky to siphon off and doesn't seem to be falling off of the corals or spreading or anything. Any ideas? I have a hammer too that seems fine

Parameters are:
Nitrates 5-10 (I am working on lowering these but it's a fairly new tank. Not sure if this is the cause, I have a protein skimmer but it didn't seem to do much although it's creating quite a bit of skimmate)
Phosphates 0.5 (same as above)
Salinity 1.026, DKH ~9, Calcium ~440, Magnesium ~1450, 0 nitrite/ammonia, 78-80 degrees C, 8.15 PH

coral2.jpg coral5.jpg coral4.jpg coral3.jpg

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just had a RTN/brown jelly issue on some SPS... it didnt look like that. the coral started shedding its zooanthalle and then as it was all white, there was brown floaty jelly all over the top.

what you have looks like sponges or some thing else

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the photos, but the last picture almost looks like a whole lotta hydroids.
It makes sense that it's not part of the zoas but I thought zoas had a purple mat? It also only is growing only on the coral mat. But it seems to have almost replaced the coral mat in both corals. It is spongey like it's one structure so I'm not sure about hydroids but I'll take a closer look tonight. Is there anything I can do if it's sponges or am I doomed? The corals are growing and the polyps look healthy when they are open but the GSP looks "dirty" before they open on the morning, as I think is clear from the picture

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not brown jelly. I think that may be some sort of sponge. If the corals are opening, I think they’re fine. I have a sponges growing in GSP and zoa colonies. They’ve been in the zoa colonies for months and I can’t see them unless the polyps are closed. I would just leave it alone if everything else seems healthy.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try a weak iodine dip and a small brush.
Your phosphate at .5ppm is way, way high unless your tank is say 5 years old, need to GFO that organic out, but not all, leave a trace at say 0.05-.1ppm.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the photos, but the last picture almost looks like a whole lotta hydroids.
It makes sense that it's not part of the zoas but I thought zoas had a purple mat? It also only is growing only on the coral mat. But it seems to have almost replaced the coral mat in both corals. It is spongey like it's one structure so I'm not sure about hydroids but I'll take a closer look tonight. Is there anything I can do if it's sponges or am I doomed? The corals are growing and the polyps look healthy when they are open but the GSP looks "dirty" before they open on the morning, as I think is clear from the picture
Hyroids on a snail of mine..

1633126511573.png

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try a weak iodine dip and a small brush.
Your phosphate at .5ppm is way, way high unless your tank is say 5 years old, need to GFO that organic out, but not all, leave a trace at say 0.05-.1ppm.
Is revive an iodine dip? Or just a cleanser? I'll give it a try, can't do that for the zoas though unfortunately since it's glued down. And I am working on lowering the phosphates, I'm not sure if that would cause these issues in the pics though. But I do have a ton of algae all over the place which is probably due to the high phosphates and nitrates

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly elevated nutrients can fuel the pest algae’s if there’s not enough “corals” to consume and/or water changes made. Light is the second factor. deprive pest algae of one, you will see a reduction, deprive of both, will eventually just die off, removed by GFO, skimming or through direct syphon and water change. In about 8 months, your good guys will win the battle for territory.

Revive just “fouls” the water so “things” detach. Some things it gets, worms and that, but things like red bugs it’s not strong enough

I too see a (pineapple?) sponge like growth between the polyps that I would want off, it may outcompete your Zoa, and kill it down the road.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back