To canopy or not to canopy

reefsquared

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 27, 2015
Messages
79
Reaction score
36
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to build my next tank, but I am not sure if I should build a canopy for it or just have it open


Thoughts?
 
I lost three fish to carpet surfing......so canopy for me stopped the surfing.

Canopy on my 90:

CanopyDoorClosed.jpg


Canopy on my JBJ 28

Canopyfinished.jpg
 
Last edited:
I would suggest a net if you are worried about losing fish. I have my tank open and only had the infamous Blue Spotted Jawfish take the plunge. I had so many heating issues and low pH due to poor ventilation.
 
I personally prefer no canopy. I did lose one fish to carpet surfing, so I don't stock known jumpers anymore. I get awesome ventilation this way as well. I like the open look, appears a bit more sleek and "sexy" to me...Lol! ;)
 
I have a canopy and had a firefish still find a way out. Thus, I added BRS screened tops before adding my McCosker's Wrasse.

On the plus side, the canopy does hide the screens as well as the lights and autofeeder. On the downside, getting to the overflows for cleaning or a fish rescue is quite difficult and the canopy is too big for me to remove solo (180 gallon tank, 6'x2' canopy).
 
the question is, wrasses? or no wrasses
 
....... I had so many heating issues and low pH due to poor ventilation.


The top of my canopy is open:

IMG_1129_zpsljokwku3.jpg


And I have a fan inside the canopy (you can just see part of it on the left):

 
Open to me looks awesome, unless you have to look at light spill, so I guess tank placement could make a difference.
My tank is close by, small quarters, so I'm w/ a canopy.
 
Could always go with a floating canopy. Blocks some of the light spill and still have an open look. Must use screens to avoid carpet surfing though.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new