to cheato, or not to chaeto, that is the question. anyone testing trace elements?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GSnake
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

GSnake

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 6, 2018
Messages
642
Reaction score
266
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been running chaeto in a lit sump fuge since the start of my tank 2 years ago. growth of it has slowed over time. and I dont do regular water changes, rather i use supplements like AFR and 2 part. -- i was cosidering cheato gro
I set up a 2nd tank last month and split new corals in two to put in both tanks. every coral that went into the new tank has looked better and better, and opposite goes for my 2 year old one.

I am thinking the chaeto has used up too many trace elements im not testing for such as potassium and iron. I have a potassium test kit on the way.

does anyone have chaeto and is testing trace elements? does it consume enough to warrant brightwells chaetogro or similar fertilizer?

I am also on the fence about removing it all together, would save me from cleaning up the bits and parts that come off and fly into my skimmer often! also i want the traces for the corals especially that I'm getting from All for reef or otherwise (aquavitro fuel / fish food)
 
My macroalgae uses a hefty amount of potassium (at least I believe it is the sink). I have no doubt that trace elements can be depleted from macroalgae use
 
my potassium was off the charts .. > 470 on the salifert test.
this is likely due to my salt - seachem vibrant sea - which is 550 ~ ppm K
I thought it would be lower by now, but it is still very high!
 
I didn’t do any tests but I can say without any question chaeto can deplete elements. I couldn’t get it to grow until I added chaetogro and it was like flicking a light switch almost overnight. I don’t know what element was depleted and it will probably vary from system to system and what you dose with and salt brand, but it can easily deplete trace elements especially if you’re using a powerful light on it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new