To cover or not to cover, that is the question.

dwfain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 mixed reef with fish tanks. I am tired of fighting salt creep. Should I remove the covers? Any pros or cons to be worried about?

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
screen cover?

A few days ago, a clownfish in my tank got spooked. He jumped up, hit the screen and bounced back into the water. Without a lid he might be dead. This was with me around, I have to assume they do this when I am not around as well.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost two sixline wrasses before I got a cover. Mine was good for months and months except one day he jumped. I got a replacement and 3 days later it jumped.

so you never know lol.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have fish that are known for jumping, then I would leave the cover on.

Having a lid also saves money, because there’s a lot less evaporation. Also if you remove the lid, it will make the room a lot more humid.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depending on how stocked you are in a reef tank, evaporation can be extremely helpful if you use kalk and not a calcium reactor. Having 4 wrasses carpet surfing, including the guy in my picture. My tank keeps covered. I need to make it a habit so I can have my wrasses again. I have a canopy to cover the mesh screen. So, a cover for the cover.
Cons are more evaporation and fish jumping out but looks alot cleaner.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought a bunch of screen door framing and nets and made my own covers that are super low profile and mixed in with the top of the tank. I don't even notice them, and the screen is wide enough that I can pour pellets and additives right in without removing them.

OP
OP
D

dwfain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
screen cover?

A few days ago, a clownfish in my tank got spooked. He jumped up, hit the screen and bounced back into the water. Without a lid he might be dead. This was with me around, I have to assume they do this when I am not around as well.
Where did you get a screen cover? What is it made up? Does the salt eat it?

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brs also sells screen kits. With a decently stocked hardware store you should be able to re-create exactly what they have.

ryrichards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
screen cover?

I agree screen covers are a good idea if you’re worried about jumping. Red Sea net covers are really good.

Mr Krabbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea net cover kits are great. Make sure you order enough zig zag kits to go around your light mounts, and anything else other than a standard single overflow box. Take your time rolling the screen in or buy a better quality screen roller tool. The one they give you cuts the screen (basically, thinner diameter cast net monofilament). Try to leave yourself a do-over patch of screen if you have enough so if you cut it you can just slide it up a half inch and start again. I wish they had these kits when I started years ago. It's actually fun to watch my habitual offenders rebound off the net like a trampoline!

Snuffy The Seal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
screen cover?

100% get a lid. fish will eventually jump, not a matter of if. sleeping and getting startled by any snail/invert will cause even calm fish to jump or get spooked. dont lose 200 dollars in fish than get a lid.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clownfish jump out in the late evening. Don't know why and I didn't spot him until the next morning on the floor. A damsel was spooked by a new fish I put in the tank and jumped out right in front of me. I was lucky to be there. I am a firm believer in having a lid after these episodes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back