To Damselfish or Not

sbrotty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to put Damsels in my 240.G reef tank. Im looking at 18-24 of them in total. 8 or 9 Azure Damselfish, 8 or 9 Blue Sapphire Damselfish and 8 Talbot's Damselfish.
My current fish are a Coral Beauty & Regal Angel, a Blond Nasa & Dejardini Tang. Two Pajama Cardinals. A Diamond Goby and a Gold spot Rabbit fish..(Siganus punctatus) Gold Spotted Rabbitfish
I thought about Athias but i think over time they harass each other to death and at 30, 40 dollars a pop I decided to pass.

Im Also considering two Engineer gobys and a wrasse or two.
what do y’all think ? before i pull the trigger.
thanks

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my yellow tails. The are pretty chill. I did have to move my royal gramma from that tank. I believe it was the yellow tail

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore has some experience with this. My understanding and experience is that Chrysiptera damsels are great additions. My Chrysiptera Springeri is at the bottom of the pecking order in my tank and all my fish are peaceful.

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got 2 yellow tail damsels and they dont bother any of my fishes. They get along well with my gramma,firefish, and small fishes. My powder blue and tomini tang are the aggressors in my tank.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone else is asking a similar question in a recent thread. The best option would be blue Chromis. They are damsels. They come in green and green-blue (look light blue to me under lights). Most peaceful of the bunch.

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would depend in the size of the tank too. I have a 750xxl so theres plenty of space. OP has a 240g, but I wouldn't do more than 5 with 10 max total. Need alot of rock work for them to hide as well.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a thread in the fish forum on keeping a large group of chrysiptera damsels instead of pseudo anthias. Given adequate space and territories to defend, they are good tank inhabitants.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a thread in the fish forum on keeping a large group of chrysiptera damsels instead of pseudo anthias. Given adequate space and territories to defend, they are good tank inhabitants.

I have a trio of Azure Damsels and wish I would have done 5-7. They claim a very small territory and only bicker amongst themselves. A great addition

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pomacentrus alleni are also a safe bet - only bicker amongst themselves & leave everything else alone

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of each in my 75 gallon and they are fine. I do have a 3 strip damsel and it chases the other ones now and then but nothing too bad.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back