To DIY or Not to DIY

drjreber

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2023
Messages
23
Reaction score
42
Location
Indiana, USA
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! I First, a little background. I have leaned toward the DIY end of the food spectrum for many of my animals over the years, formulating food that I feed exclusively or as an added bonus. Anyway, I would like to know how many of you choose to DIY your food for fish and/or inverts, and what your recipe looks like. If you buy commercial food, what is your preferred brand and variety. I am returning to a reef tank after MANY years absence, and the available options for commercial food have changed dramatically. I want to be certain I am prepared to do things right long before I put that first animal in my tank.
 
I just use frozen.
Hakari Krill, PE Mysis, Brine Shrimp, Bloodworms, and Reef Frenzy (which has its own list)
Using 5 years.
 
Ours is not to question DIY, just give it a try.

Seriously though. DIY food is legit and way cheaper monetarily but much richer nutritionally. Fishes love my diy feed. I mix in shrim, a variety of clams, squid, and whatever saltwater fish i happen to grab. I also mix in some shredded nori, a dash of spirulina, some oyster eggs, and a hint of selcon.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new