Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming your 100 gallon is the traditional dimensions (72"), I think both tangs you've selected would make fantastic additions! I've only owned the kole yellow eye, but I added it to a similar setup (minus the puffer) and it got along fantastically. Are there any particular questions or concerns you have about the tangs?
In what world would a traditional 100 gallon tank be 72”??

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted, bristles are not much good for hair algae .... you might luck into an individual that is, but the likelihood is not. Tomini is an excellent choice for a smaller tank if you are set on one. I wouldn’t personally have a reef tank without a bristle tang. Chevron is my favorite, but requires a larger tank.

Love the flame tang. I have 1 in my 180 and 1 in my 90. Never seen either stop pecking away on rocks or glass to eat algae. They get also with everyone. Look cool too.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that GHA isn’t likely to be consumed marginally by any tang. A 48” tank is suitable for either bristletooth tang you mentioned, however. :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the flame tang. I have 1 in my 180 and 1 in my 90. Never seen either stop pecking away on rocks or glass to eat algae. They get also with everyone. Look cool too.
This is also a great suggestion that I second

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flame tang is another bristle right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're looking to add more color and utility to couple with our other fish and cleaners. I made the mistake of getting chromis that didn't "pop" like the blue/greens do. So now all fish decisions need to be voted on :) Thank you all for the great suggestions! Keep it coming I love the new ideas, scopas and flame weren't even on the radar.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm probably going to scrap the sea hare idea as I'd be moving them around constantly lol I'll have to live tang curiously through your reef!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This doesn’t really validate anything. You can always get a tank made in any dimensions. I looked around and can’t find any 72” 100 gallon tanks for sale nor build threads. Maybe it was “standard” back in the day but I’d argue that the majority of 100 gallon tanks are 48” to 60” for a narrow/shallow tank.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're looking to add more color and utility to couple with our other fish and cleaners. I made the mistake of getting chromis that didn't "pop" like the blue/greens do. So now all fish decisions need to be voted on :) Thank you all for the great suggestions! Keep it coming I love the new ideas, scopas and flame weren't even on the radar.

There are plenty of colorful rabbit fish that eat algae as good or better than any tang. Especially if you are talking about hair algae.

If you are set on a tang I would get a yellow. Your 48'' tank is plenty of room. I have 4 tangs in a 48" 120gallon, two of them (yellow and a blue) have been with me for about 9 years. Never in a tank longer than 48". With your limited amount of rock though you wouldn't want to add more than 1 tang.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of colorful rabbit fish that eat algae as good or better than any tang. Especially if you are talking about hair algae.

If you are set on a tang I would get a yellow. Your 48'' tank is plenty of room. I have 4 tangs in a 48" 120gallon, two of them (yellow and a blue) have been with me for about 9 years. Never in a tank longer than 48". With your limited amount of rock though you wouldn't want to add more than 1 tang.

We looked at rabbitfish, it seems like they would outgrow our tank once they've full matured is that true?

I'm assuming that tangs like to hide. I was wondering what the behavior for them was, so without ample hiding space will that cause some type of stress in the fish?

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm probably going to scrap the sea hare idea as I'd be moving them around constantly lol I'll have to live tang curiously through your reef!
I'll send you pictures ;) Looking through all of the online stores it looks like everyone is sold out, so it's gonna be a while. Anyone heard any news on when we might see the supply lines open again?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We looked at rabbitfish, it seems like they would outgrow our tank once they've full matured is that true?

If you buy a fish small (around 2-3 inches), and don't overfeed, then it will be many years before you need to consider rehoming. Fish usually grow fairly quickly to 3-4 inches but slow significantly after that in home aquariums. Fish don't have to be gigantic to be healthy and happy. Aim for raising Kenyan marathon runner instead of a Japanese sumo wrestler.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy a fish small (around 2-3 inches), and don't overfeed, then it will be many years before you need to consider rehoming. Fish usually grow fairly quickly to 3-4 inches but slow significantly after that in home aquariums. Fish don't have to be gigantic to be healthy and happy. Aim for raising Kenyan marathon runner instead of a Japanese sumo wrestler.
Definitely in it for the marathon... I'm more of a slow and steady wins the race kind of reefer. Like a turtles pace ;)

Thank you for the rabbitfish suggestion!

IamChrismWard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I've got a Tomini Tang and he cleans The Rock's all day but doesn't make a huge dent in the algae in my tank, however my pincushion urchins strip everything clean.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much any fish you get to eat algae will be hit or miss. If you have or will have other fish to feed, the grazers will get lazy.

I've been keeping a 4' 75g since 2012.
I tried a Yellow Eye but it constantly picked on my Starry Blenny, so the tang was rehomed.
I tried a One Spot Fox, but it was too high-strung, causing all other fish to be constantly spooked - plus it was a big pooper making quite the mess.
I bought a 2" Yellow Tang about 5 years ago and it's now only about 3.5". It's quite the model citizen getting along fine with my Starry, plus a Coral Beauty. The 3 of them graze all day, but I wouldn't count on them to keep the rocks clean.

My algae cleanup crew is over 40 Trochus snails. I managed to find some breeders when I bought 6 last fall, about 4 months after a tank restart.
I don't keep hermits in this build as the snails can't upright themselves with my finer sand and the smaller snails can become hermit food.
Instead of hermits to clean the rockwork, I have an army of micro brittle stars that keep the interiors of the rock clean enough.
All I need do is turkey baste the rocks maybe monthly.

Consider getting some Trochus snails and give them a head start by scrubbing the worst of the hair algae off so it's short enough to eat.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much any fish you get to eat algae will be hit or miss. If you have or will have other fish to feed, the grazers will get lazy.

I've been keeping a 4' 75g since 2012.
I tried a Yellow Eye but it constantly picked on my Starry Blenny, so the tang was rehomed.
I tried a One Spot Fox, but it was too high-strung, causing all other fish to be constantly spooked - plus it was a big pooper making quite the mess.
I bought a 2" Yellow Tang about 5 years ago and it's now only about 3.5". It's quite the model citizen getting along fine with my Starry, plus a Coral Beauty. The 3 of them graze all day, but I wouldn't count on them to keep the rocks clean.

My algae cleanup crew is over 40 Trochus snails. I managed to find some breeders when I bought 6 last fall, about 4 months after a tank restart.
I don't keep hermits in this build as the snails can't upright themselves with my finer sand and the smaller snails can become hermit food.
Instead of hermits to clean the rockwork, I have an army of micro brittle stars that keep the interiors of the rock clean enough.
All I need do is turkey baste the rocks maybe monthly.

Consider getting some Trochus snails and give them a head start by scrubbing the worst of the hair algae off so it's short enough to eat.

I appreciate the write-up! My biggest concern is the aggressive behavior tangs can have (you're not the first to mention the blenny bullying, i love that guy he's got character). We're hoping we get one that was housed with other tanks mates. I'm less concerned with the algae-eating and if it spots picks at the algae that's okay with me.

I would love to know where you found a good trochus breeder, they are by far the best cleaners in our tank but pretty dang expensive at our LFS, $6 a pop is a little much for those guys. I will order from @reefcleaners but normally in bulk with some macroalgae. I'm also going to give the brittle stars a try we have one big one... my worry here is the puffer he likes taking legs :eek::eek:

zoablasto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow eye kole tang is a good one! Easy to keep and clean up your algae and nice!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 84 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back