To try or not to try???

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a colorful medium sized fish that will explore the whole water column. My mind says a dwarf angel fits exactly what I'm looking for. I've never owned a angel due to the fact they can nip or eat corals. For everyone who has experience with them how risky is it to try? I've read they like the meaty corals and I love my lobo and trachy so I would be ticked if one of them turned into fish food. For anyone who has not had a problem which angel did you have? I'm interested in the coral beauty and flames.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a colorful medium sized fish that will explore the whole water column. My mind says a dwarf angel fits exactly what I'm looking for. I've never owned a angel due to the fact they can nip or eat corals. For everyone who has experience with them how risky is it to try? I've read they like the meaty corals and I love my lobo and trachy so I would be ticked if one of them turned into fish food. For anyone who has not had a problem which angel did you have? I'm interested in the coral beauty and flames.
They really are hit or miss. Some can be model citizens until one day they just go to town on your prized corals. If you're concerned for your corals I'd pass on the dwarf angels.

OP
OP
Troyer15

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really are hit or miss. Some can be model citizens until one day they just go to town on your prized corals. If you're concerned for your corals I'd pass on the dwarf angels.
I'm right on edge at the moment. If they eat some zoas its whatever but my hammer garden or brains I dont think its worth the risk.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do or do not: there is no try! (Yoda)

I've always had a flame angel. They are beautiful fish. I had one in my first tank for 11 years and now in my current tank for 2+ years. Both tanks were mixed but with more SPS than LPS. I've seen my flame angel nip at a coral, but I think it was just checking it out. Most of my fish seem to investigate things with their mouths and not just their eyes. So far, no corals (SPS or LPS) have been destroyed by my flame angel.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Beauty and Eibli.... softies /LPS mostly in my 90g. Both have been pretty much model citizens. When I first got the Eibli he was nipping a bit at Kenya Tree (some would call this a blessing lol), but once fully taking frozen, pellet and nori that stopped altogether.

Still a bit of risk involved, so I'm not saying go for it.........well actually yes I am . I love my two dwarfs.

FWIW I do find that the Eibli is a more open water swimmer. CB likes to hang in the rockwork just a bit more.

MPrz59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A captive breed coral beauty is your best chance. I have one and he mainly just picks algae off the rocks. Also if you get one make sure to try and include seaweed in their diet every couple of days

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My angel has nipped at Favia and Favites only ever. And only once or twice, then he goes away.

Never lost anything to him.

With that said as well, make sure they're well fed.

Any starving fish with a "tendency" to do something will absolutely do it if hungry.

Also heard once they get a "taste" for coral, they won't stop.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it......unless it can easily be removed if needed. I have tried pretty much every species of commonly available (and even some rarer ones), and they have all had to be removed due to coral picking (and sometimes decimation). In my case, it was never a matter of if they would take a liking to coral, it was when. That being said, it was definitely more the fleshy LPS than anything else.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some additional info about my tanks. I've always had at least two Tangs. This means that I've always fed nori, in addition to other fish food. My non-Tang fish also eat nori: green chromis (5), clowns (6), and flame angel. They don't eat as much as the Tangs, but they definitely eat it. Maybe nori has helped my flame angel have no desire to eat any of my corals.

OP
OP
Troyer15

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do or do not: there is no try! (Yoda)

I've always had a flame angel. They are beautiful fish. I had one in my first tank for 11 years and now in my current tank for 2+ years. Both tanks were mixed but with more SPS than LPS. I've seen my flame angel nip at a coral, but I think it was just checking it out. Most of my fish seem to investigate things with their mouths and not just their eyes. So far, no corals (SPS or LPS) have been destroyed by my flame angel.
Funny! I actually just watched all the Star Wars movies for the first time and loved them. Maybe since I finally tried Star Wars I should finally try an angel???

OP
OP
Troyer15

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A captive breed coral beauty is your best chance. I have one and he mainly just picks algae off the rocks. Also if you get one make sure to try and include seaweed in their diet every couple of days
Always have nori on hand. My powder blue goes through nori like Donald Trump goes through spray tan lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back