To Tunze or not to Tunze, that is the question

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, I'm getting back into the game and gathering equipment to "accessorize" a 32 gallon Biocube. I have used Tunze products over the years with success so thought I would look at their ATO for smaller aquariums. Geez, the reviews are generally horrible (except for those selling the product) or those who state "I have had it for 2 weeks and it's awesome"so I'm looking elsewhere. Bottom line, I have decided to look elsewhere. I would appreciate real life experience recommendations for a reliable ATO for my future Biocube. Thank you for your time.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing against Tunze, they've obviously stood the test of time and I have used them in the past for years but for a small tank you might want to try xp aqua. It's very small and has been very reliable for me. I've only been using it less than a year though but it's small size makes it ideal for a small aquarium.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used the nano on my 55 dt with 30 gallon sump system for about 2 years. It never skipped a beat and worked flawlessly! I recently upgraded to the regular tunze just because I started dosing kalk and wanted the added safety features of the regular system with the optical sensor.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a Tunze fan boy and love my osmolator 3155 but I too have heard dicey things about their nano not being so great.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like Tunze products. I have the 3155 Osmolator and it's a beast for the post couple of years. I also have their skimmer, 9410 model I think, and it's a workhorse and so easy to use. I've recently added 2 tunze powerheads that are working great as well.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also add I have a 6101 turbelle stream that's close to 15 years old, still works flawlessly.

Also Roger Vitko is an incredibly nice guy who provides top notch customer service/product support

pgammon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have two 6105 streams and a 3155, I have had trouble with an older 3155, but as said above, Roger's customer service is top notch!

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I'm looking elsewhere. Bottom line, I have decided to look elsewhere. I would appreciate real life experience recommendations for a reliable ATO for my future Biocube. Thank you for your time.

Doesn't seem like much of a question if you've already decided to go with a brand other than Tunze. Just a FYI to everyone recommending Tunze :)

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know why sometimes my Osmolator 3155 just fills the sump too much and causes warning alert to go off? It gets annoying when this happens. It's as though the pump stopped but the water keeps coming through the tube? Is it tube placement that's causing this?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know why sometimes my Osmolator 3155 just fills the sump too much and causes warning alert to go off? It gets annoying when this happens. It's as though the pump stopped but the water keeps coming through the tube? Is it tube placement that's causing this?
gravity/siphon issue

metering pump needs to be lower than output tube, check valve should also be used and comes with the 3155

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think the problem was that my reservoir was filled up the other day and the water line is higher than my sump. I assume the tube over syphoned due to that... smh

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked the AutoAqua Smart Micro for a smaller tank after reading the same dicey reviews on the Tunze nano.

It has performed flawlessly for about a year now at half the price of the full size Tunze unit.

I've owned and highly recommend the full size Tunze unit but was also considering that the sensor on the AutoAqua is less bulky and easily fits out of the way on even the smallest of nano tanks

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tunze 3155 needed a little break in period but it is a beast now, never a doubt its working properly. I love you can adjust flow rate. I have also heard some not so great things about the nano version.

OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't seem like much of a question if you've already decided to go with a brand other than Tunze. Just a FYI to everyone recommending Tunze :)
No, not intended rule out Tunze. Rather, I will look at others as an option instead of considering only Tunze (as I am inclined to do normally) Thank you for your input.

OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked the AutoAqua Smart Micro for a smaller tank after reading the same dicey reviews on the Tunze nano.

It has performed flawlessly for about a year now at half the price of the full size Tunze unit.

I've owned and highly recommend the full size Tunze unit but was also considering that the sensor on the AutoAqua is less bulky and easily fits out of the way on even the smallest of nano tanks
Thank you, SDK. I was just looking for viable options and that certainly looks like one. Never intended to dis the Tunze brand which I have used in several applications over many years.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Tunze Nano and have for the last 3 years. It works great and I would buy again.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back