To wrasse or not to wrasse? That is the question I am wrassling with.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my IM 40L AIO is getting wet this week, I'm dreaming up my full stocking list.

Since my original plan was met with some skepticism, I've had to change things up. For reference:
1679988899383.png

Current stocking plan is (10g and 13.5g getting transferred to 40L):
Tailspot blenny (in my 10g)
Exquisite firefish (in my 10g)
2x occelaris clowns (in my 13.5g)
2 banggai cardinals
1 yasha or YWG or maybe wheeler shimp goby
1 midas blenny
1 Randall's pistol shrimp (13.5g)
1 Skunk cleaner shimp
2 Sexy shrimp (10g)
1 spotted anemone crab (10g)
1 green porcelain crab (10g)
1 blue porcelain crab
1 pitho crab
2-3 emerald crabs
1 tuxedo urchin (13.5g)
2 turbos (13.5g)
2 money cowries (10g & 13.5g)
2... lots of other snails, just lots (10g & 13.5g)
Lots of worms including fans worms, spaghetti/hair worms, peanut worms (NO bristles and leaving eunice worms behind)
Mixed reef: zoas/shrooms/nepthea/gsp/meaty LPS/torches/hammer/octo/blastos/acans/alve/candycane/favia/dendro/gorgs/stylo/birdsnest/monti cap/monti digi/pavona/cyphastrea/Botrycladia/Halimeda/Gracilaria/Codium/BTAs/RFAs/MaxiMinis...

I keep coming back to the idea of a wrasse to add some color and activity to the tank.

Three concerns:
(1) Will a wrasse kill my nice worms, snails, and shrimp? Porcelains?
(2) Will a wrasse pick on corals?
(3) Will a wrasse bully the other fish?

Should I? Shouldn't I?

Some wrasses that might interest me:
1. Carpenter wrasse
2. Multicolor Lubbock's fairy wrasse
3. McKosker's wrasse
4. Scott's fairy wrasse
5. Yellow banded possum wrasse
6. Leopards??

Other interesting ones, but they get pricey. Lots of wrasse-lovers out there. What say you?

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, is your tank actually 40 liters? The fish and invertebrates you already have are way too many for such a small tank!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the wrasse. Most are invert killers(tiny inverts like spaghetti worms, bristle worms, copepods, etc). Most are very peaceful, with some obvious exceptions.

Most of the wrasses you list are peaceful. The leopard family is not considered beginner friendly, but once you get them eating prepared foods, they are no harder then any other fish.

@i cant think @Slocke @Tcook

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also post the same question in this thread for more wrasse friendly eyes can view it.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the wrasse. Most are invert killers(tiny inverts like spaghetti worms, bristle worms, copepods, etc). Most are very peaceful, with some obvious exceptions.

Most of the wrasses you list are peaceful. The leopard family is not considered beginner friendly, but once you get them eating prepared foods, they are no harder then any other fish.

@i cant think @Slocke @Tcook
I’ve had multiple leopards. I don’t know if it’s boredom or hunger, but they will mess/kill hermits. I just had one kill an emerald crab. My 2 cents

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be your individual fish, or as you said it's extremely hungry, but I've owned every leopard thats been describe minus the choati over the years. Never seen a single one kill a larger invert like a hermit crab. Each individual fish has their own personality, but they are not known for killing larger inverts.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like leopard should be scratched, especially since this is an office tank and it might need extra attention in the beginning.

The fish will be fed 3-4 times throughout the day and a couple times at night via refrigerated Reef Nutrition liquid food dosing (mysis/ROE/oyster/pac pods/arcti pods/roti/phyo feast), plus TDO and NLS pellet dump twice daily.

Would my sexy shrimp be toast with any wrasse, then?

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be your individual fish, or as you said it's extremely hungry, but I've owned every leopard thats been describe minus the choati over the years. Never seen a single one kill a larger invert like a hermit crab. Each individual fish has their own personality, but they are not known for killing larger inverts.
I had one who would pick up hermits, swim them up in water column and just drop them. I’m assuming he just enjoyed inconveniencing them or watching them fall lol

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many seem to get excited about the Melanurus Wrasse on here it seems, but I love mine! Picked him up instead of a Sixline. Very active in the tank, doesn't bother any tank mates or corals, and I feel like he keeps my bristle worm population under control.. 55 gal long (4'), 8 other fish in there (clowns, gramma, cardinals, lawnmower, YWG) and a buncha frags.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many seem to get excited about the Melanurus Wrasse on here it seems, but I love mine! Picked him up instead of a Sixline. Very active in the tank, doesn't bother any tank mates or corals, and I feel like he keeps my bristle worm population under control.. 55 gal long (4'), 8 other fish in there (clowns, gramma, cardinals, lawnmower, YWG) and a buncha frags.
It's a beautiful fish. Since my tank is only 3', I think I will be sticking with a yellow banded possum or maybe pink streak. Will have to wait for the 5' upgrade!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the Scott Fairy wrasse. Too mean and too large.
You need a fine sand bed for the Leopard. They are too large for 40 gal also. The two flasher wrasse likely won't do well in a 40 gal either but they are peaceful. Lubbock Wrasse is OK in a 40 gal.
These wrasses with the exception of Leopard and Possum wrasse are easy to keep and feed.
Hopefully you won't put everything in the lists above in your tank, too many fishes.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the Scott Fairy wrasse. Too mean and too large.
You need a fine sand bed for the Leopard. They are too large for 40 gal also. The two flasher wrasse likely won't do well in a 40 gal either but they are peaceful. Lubbock Wrasse is OK in a 40 gal.
These wrasses with the exception of Leopard and Possum wrasse are easy to keep and feed.
Hopefully you won't put everything in the lists above in your tank, too many fishes.
Thanks OrionN. Been a lengthy discussion about wrasses. In the end, if I got a wrasse, it would have to be a pink streak or possum wrasse or maybe (big maybe) blue star leopard (have a great sandbed). But most likely outcome is no wrasse. In another two weeks, goal is to get the 2 clowns in with the TSB and firefish:
PXL_20230412_205606028~2.jpg

A few months down the road, I will definitely add the yasha, bringing total to 5 fish--swimming space should be relatively free because the clowns occupy just the space around a return nozzle, firefish in a cave, and TSB sits on the rocks/in barnacle. Any fish after the yasha should be swimmers.

So likely candidates are midas blenny, 2x cardinals or the wrasse at total 6 (or 7 for cardinals) fish. That's the idea at least. What do you think?

Thanks!

And hope to get your views on a clam further down the road! Working on a plan to add a Kessil + 35degree reflector for a focal lighting spot for clam eventually.

Ps. Photo is not fully up to date. Have two LEDs over the tank now and all corals/macros from 10gallon in the tank now.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a variety over the years and not much issue with inverts although at one point someone did eat my scarlet hermits and can't remember who. For the sake of pest control, I always keep at minimum a melanurus and a sixline. I also always have a common cleaner wrasse (current is 9yo) who provides plenty of antics and keeps the fish happy. As far as your list I can only speak to Carpenter wrasse and Multicolor Lubbock's fairy wrasse. Both are good choices and never had an issue. A big consideration is many require a sand bed like my melanurus.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great lid. IM tank lids fit nicely and tightly.
That's good. I did not have a lid, and subsequently discovered that a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse could break surface like a submarine launched ballistic missile, and land part way across the room.

That's when I also discovered that Whippets like fish.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good. I did not have a lid, and subsequently discovered that a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse could break surface like a submarine launched ballistic missile, and land part way across the room.

That's when I also discovered that Whippets like fish.
My greyhounds are likely in the same category!

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a beautiful fish. Since my tank is only 3', I think I will be sticking with a yellow banded possum or maybe pink streak. Will have to wait for the 5' upgrade!
That's what I was going to suggest. Wait until you have at least a 4' to 5' tank for the larger wrasse and fairy and flasher wrasse - they zoom across the tank a lot faster than you'd think and need that length. I saw a yellow banded possum at my LFS this past weekend and it was THE cutest thing ever, lol. Definitely would go with one of those. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the thread title! Lol!

Back