Toadstool coral bleaching???

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I bought a toadstool coral not to long ago and it straight away started shedding. All my parameters are in there correct areas except my phosphates which are 0.5. I have already started gfo in a media bag. I changed my light to to a stronger one but I have recently seen my toadstool becoming a off white compared to the rest of the body. Could this be bleaching? Can toadstool corals even bleach?
IMG20230610122536.jpg
IMG20230610122542.jpg

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, how long is not too long ago? Not unusual for them to wax over for a while after adding to your tank. It does look a bit unhappy though, how much additional light have you hit it with? They also like a fair bit of flow.

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, how long is not too long ago? Not unusual for them to wax over for a while after adding to your tank. It does look a bit unhappy though, how much additional light have you hit it with? They also like a fair bit of flow.
So I added it in about two weeks ago and it started shedding straight away. It was quite abit of light. I do not have perfect par measurements but it was definitely to much. Flow wise there is about but not that much. This is because I had just done a water change and some sand had being kicked up.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of light do you have? Leathers can usually handle a LOT of light.

I see algae growing on the outside of the leather, and the lather is drooping, suggesting maybe not enough flow.

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of light do you have? Leathers can usually handle a LOT of light.

I see algae growing on the outside of the leather, and the lather is drooping, suggesting maybe not enough flow.
I used a really strong Chinese black box. The algae is only on the skin that is being shed. The drooping is what I believe from the water change. I'm not sure because it is normally perked up. There is plenty of flow as I added a flow pump before I added the coral.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion and you can take it or leave it but looking at the full tank shot from your six line post I’d consider opening up your scape a bit. Seems very close to the glass and difficult to get good flow going. Also, I don’t think it’s the best placement for the leather, it’ll need a bit more space. That picture may not tell the whole story though. Hope it perks up for you soon.

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I'm going to be able to open the build up any more. There is quite abit of flow in that spot already. I think I might leave it for now but I might move it after it starts to open up. The coral has already perked up so I don't think that's an issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back