Toadstool coral care

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm am thinking of buying a toadstool coral, my water has been steady for a couple weeks now. It is a newer tank about a month and a half old. Pros and cons about them??
And maybe somethings everyone likes and dislikes.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
toadstool is a great starter coral! IMO, you have to try really hard to kill them lol
Med/high light (I have LEDs so Im not sure about other lighting types) and med to med/high flow. Mine wont open up without a decent amount of flow hitting it. Also, the brown ones are a lot easier. I picked the tyree green for my first one and it doesnt open as much as a brown one but its just soooo pretty lol
Expect it not to open for a week or two after you put it in your system. Some open right away though.

I havent experienced many cons...I would say the biggest one is that when it gets irritated it will shed which means it sucks all the poylps inside and gets a waxy look to it. It will go away. Mine is currently shedding-been about 3 days.
Pros-it just looks cool lol Im an acan/nem type of lady but this guys are unique for sure

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are literally bullit proof ..definitely a good coral too start with .. although some can get very big over time .. also one of the easiest corals too frag .

OP
OP
cody2cannon

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thabks for everyone's input! My LFS has frags for 10$. Now as far as acclimating should I put it in the sand bed at first or as high as I can get it? I have the current usa orbit marine LED

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thabks for everyone's input! My LFS has frags for 10$. Now as far as acclimating should I put it in the sand bed at first or as high as I can get it? I have the current usa orbit marine LED
I'd put it in the sand bed first and slowly move it up .. I have two both sit midway in my tank .

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats true ..but they really are the one of the easiest of corals .. you could also try a pulsing xania ,

OP
OP
cody2cannon

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170123_183856.jpeg

Just added this frag, 10 bucks about the size of a golf ball

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine love a lot of light. My green one is about 10" across now. I have owned it for over 3 years and it started out as a large frag.

IMG_5083 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back