Toadstool leather coral has brown scratches,bites, algae?

Reefmuffin

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 26, 2019
Messages
13
Reaction score
2
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that my toadstool leather coral has these brownish almost looks like scratches or bites, went to take a picture and sort of looks like algae, but I was curious what everyone thought.

Just slightly above the marks there is a line where the coral goes from dull and slightly shrunk to more healthy looking.

Could it be a sting mark? I think unlikely, but idk for sure.Please Give me some advice, I would really appreciate it!

Screenshot_20190613-155710.png
 
Looks like algea.
 
I noticed that my toadstool leather coral has these brownish almost looks like scratches or bites, went to take a picture and sort of looks like algae, but I was curious what everyone thought.

Just slightly above the marks there is a line where the coral goes from dull and slightly shrunk to more healthy looking.

Could it be a sting mark? I think unlikely, but idk for sure.Please Give me some advice, I would really appreciate it!

Screenshot_20190613-155710.png

+1 on algae. I had a leather do the same. You can wipe it off with your finger.
 
I agree. It looks like Algae and the Toadstool looks very happy and healthy. You may need just a little more flow in that area to keep the algae from forming.
 
My light went out on me yesterday morning so I grabbed one of my small circular plant lights to fill in while I waited for my new light.

It's a small circular light with red/blue/white lights. Do you think this change in light may have helped to speed up the growth?

And I always thought I had it by decent flow :oops:

Edit: brown Mark did not rub off with my finger, I was fairly persistent too
 
Mine does this even in high flow. It seems the stalk is more prone to this. I believe the stalk can create a low flow areas around the rocks that they are attached to
My light went out on me yesterday morning so I grabbed one of my small circular plant lights to fill in while I waited for my new light.

It's a small circular light with red/blue/white lights. Do you think this change in light may have helped to speed up the growth?

And I always thought I had it by decent flow :oops:

Edit: brown Mark did not rub off with my finger, I was fairly persistent too
 
Just thinking of it. Mine get upset if I touch them. You can use a turkey baster to blow if the algea
 
I will make sure to remember that, thank you!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new