Toadstool Leather Issues

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

For a couple months now a couple of my toadstools have been closed, no polyp extension at all. The only time it does is maybe for a brief moment during the day or at night. It’s in a constant shedding cycle because it waxes over too. But my other leathers are perfect everyday? Is it a lighting issue? Too much? Too little? There’s a lot of flow in my system also.
90 Gallon
Softie Only
Salinity: 1.025
Temp : 79
Alk : 9.5
Calcium : 400
Mag : 1390

reefer024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

For a couple months now a couple of my toadstools have been closed, no polyp extension at all. The only time it does is maybe for a brief moment during the day or at night. It’s in a constant shedding cycle because it waxes over too. But my other leathers are perfect everyday? Is it a lighting issue? Too much? Too little? There’s a lot of flow in my system also.
90 Gallon
Softie Only
Salinity: 1.025
Temp : 79
Alk : 9.5
Calcium : 400
Mag : 1390
They usually stay closed for sometime when growing. I've had mine a couple years and it does it often

OP
OP
J

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually stay closed for sometime when growing. I've had mine a couple years and it does it often
But is 3 months normal? It attempts to open for a bit but then goes back to shedding/waxing. Almost like something is irritating it. I tried gradually turning down my led’s but it doesn’t make sense because one of the corals that’s doing this I’ve had when my light intensity was a lot higher.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
From your description the toadstool is not getting enough and necessary flow. Take a turkey baster and give it some gentle blast and then direct water flow towards not at the toadstool and it should open up within the next 36 hrs or sooner
Assure moderate light and water flow and salinity AT 1.024, temp 77-79, ph 8.1-8.3 and nitrates < .4

OP
OP
J

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your description the toadstool is not getting enough and necessary flow. Take a turkey baster and give it some gentle blast and then direct water flow towards not at the toadstool and it should open up within the next 36 hrs or sooner
Assure moderate light and water flow and salinity AT 1.024, temp 77-79, ph 8.1-8.3 and nitrates < .4
Correct me if I’m wrong but If it was a lighting issue, wouldn’t all the corals be affected? Not just a couple?

SpringFever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason emerald crabs love to munch on my toadstools. I've had three different emeralds go after two different toadstools. Do you have any critters that might have taken a liking to them?

OP
OP
J

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason emerald crabs love to munch on my toadstools. I've had three different emeralds go after two different toadstools. Do you have any critters that might have taken a liking to them?
No I don’t believe so. I got scarlet hermits but they’ve never bothered them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Correct me if I’m wrong but If it was a lighting issue, wouldn’t all the corals be affected? Not just a couple?
Its a flow issue, not lighting as stated

" From your description the toadstool is not getting enough and necessary flow. Take a turkey baster and give it some gentle blast and then direct water flow towards not at the toadstool and it should open up within the next 36 hrs or sooner"

gtguy256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is probably in medium par but is pretty close to my powerhead so it gets a good amount of flow. It tends to open and close with the lighting cycle

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back