Toadstool Leather

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a toadstool frag last Saturday. When I got it home and put it in a dip, it had fallen off the frag plug. It had a rubber band around it, but I couldn't remember how. I just put it back around the middle of the frag.

It's been doing "okay" as far as I know. It's open and closed quite a few times during the day. I don't think it has fully extended yet but I'm not really worried about that.

Because I put the rubber band "loosely" around the middle of it, it almost appears as though it's cutting it in half. It's not but both sides are puffed up some making it look that way.

Is this thing okay like that? Also, how can I tell when the frag has attached to the frag plug so I can remove that rubber band?

This is one of my first corals so not a lot of experience, just a lot of research and reading, but can't find anything about how to tell when this thing is attached.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got a toadstool frag last Saturday. When I got it home and put it in a dip, it had fallen off the frag plug. It had a rubber band around it, but I couldn't remember how. I just put it back around the middle of the frag.

It's been doing "okay" as far as I know. It's open and closed quite a few times during the day. I don't think it has fully extended yet but I'm not really worried about that.

Because I put the rubber band "loosely" around the middle of it, it almost appears as though it's cutting it in half. It's not but both sides are puffed up some making it look that way.

Is this thing okay like that? Also, how can I tell when the frag has attached to the frag plug so I can remove that rubber band?

This is one of my first corals so not a lot of experience, just a lot of research and reading, but can't find anything about how to tell when this thing is attached.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Means band is too tight. Very lossely tied to a rock.
You can stand it on top of a rock and then surround it by other rocks to secure it for about 7-10 days . It should have grabbed by then

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Means band is too tight. Very lossely tied to a rock.
You can stand it on top of a rock and then surround it by other rocks to secure it for about 7-10 days . It should have grabbed by then
So I should take that rubber band off then? It's in a QT tank right now on a homemade frag rack. I don't have any rock that I could use in there. I watched one video earlier where they used a rubber band just on the edge of the frag which made me think (realize) I probably did that wrong.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I should take that rubber band off then? It's in a QT tank right now on a homemade frag rack. I don't have any rock that I could use in there. I watched one video earlier where they used a rubber band just on the edge of the frag which made me think (realize) I probably did that wrong.
Technically, rubber band works, Do a loose figure 8 with the bottom stem of leather then attach to single rock (or rubble piece)

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
528EDD45-9AC0-4E69-BA09-41DE14A75C31.jpeg

So this is what Ive got going on right now.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may split it in two, but looks healthy enough. I find putting leathers in a pile of rubble or between rocks is the best way to get them attached. I have used rubber bands, but some just manage to get out if not tight and some split and get away if too tight.
In a qt, get a small tub of rubble rock and place in there. Try pinning it a bit with rubble, then after 7 days or so should be attached to something.
Looks nice!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
528EDD45-9AC0-4E69-BA09-41DE14A75C31.jpeg

So this is what Ive got going on right now.
This band is extremely thick. You can use sewing thread instead and Loosely

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This band is extremely thick. You can use sewing thread instead and Loosely
Thanks, I will cut that thing off and use sewing thread.

That band is what it came with. I will, for now on, pay attention to how they are attached when I get them and hopefully have a better understanding of how they should be attached going forward.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a nice leather though so congrats. I would definitely use sewing thread or the loose rubble technique. I had a leather like that split in half one time from the rubber band. I like the sewing thread method or you can use a zip tie lightly pulled to just hold it there as well.

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cut the rubber band off and it seems to be attached. It's back in the tank and still in place. Hopefully it's attached and now will just start growing!

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought Id share a pic the day after removing the rubber band. Its hard to tell where the band was now and it seems to be doing okay. It hasn’t moved from the plug so I think it is attached after one week in the qt. Wanted to share just in case anyone else ever runs i to my issue.
428A16B5-4238-4245-B8D9-34A73078737A.jpeg

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought Id post an updated pic of the toadstool leather a few weeks after I removed the rubbeband that was definitely too tight. It’s doing well.

Attachments

• BC02C322-04CE-4C32-944B-82CE741EE4A3.jpeg
    BC02C322-04CE-4C32-944B-82CE741EE4A3.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 34

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back