Toadstool not opening

adamf83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this toadstool nearly 2 months, to start the polpys would be out, but recently they have not, maybe the last 3 weeks.

Anything I should be worried about or doing? I’m new to the coral side of things.

Water Params:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Phos: 0.03
Alk: 7 (dosing this up as it dropped to 5)
Cal: 510
Mag: 1295

6801BC81-F949-403F-BC4C-37470024B890.jpeg

Last edited:

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure he has plenty of flow.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did that for the first 2 weeks, then was open and beautiful for 2 months, then got a couple holes just under the cap and closed up for two weeks, then opened again and looks awesome again. It still has 2 semi holes but looks great otherwise....I've read it could be splitting or dropping babies. Anyway, from your picture it still looks good. I'm fairly new to leathers (6 mos) but have a couple Toadstools, kenya tree and devils hand now. They are weird corals and mostly bi-polar from what I can gather. I have one large pink kenya tree that acts different almost every day. My devil's hand seems the most normal, but dropped a baby the first two weeks I had it.

RudyvandenBerg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is currently going through a shedding as well. Its week 3 now... It takes some time for them to finish but they will be fine. Make sure they have plenty of flow to help them shed the skin (toadstools look shiny and smooth with no extensions). If you want, you can assist them if the water flow is not enough by blowing it off gently with a turkey baster.

They do come back strong eventually.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back