Today's Total Solar Eclipse

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also find it amusing that a lot of the lead up were people saying things like “the weather might ruin the eclipse” or after saying it was “underwhelming” as @exnisstech stated.

As if this event was somehow for the viewing pleasure of humans haha. It wasn’t, it just is what it is. If it doesn’t excite you cool. It would have happened whether you wanted to watch it or not.
It was all the hype that soured the whole thing for me. Heck I didn't even know there was going to be an eclipse until a week or so before it happened and during that week I couldn't walk into a store without hearing about it. Not lying, I watch, read and listen to zero news and this forum is the only form of social media I use. I'm old and fed up and its all going down the toilet anyway so what difference does an event like the eclipse even make since it was going to happen no matter what.
Oh and I did look pre peak post peak and during peak with no glasses and I'm not blind. Sure I saw spots afterwards like I lways have when I looked at the sun. Was it supposed to be brighter yesterday than any other day? People have been looking at the sun since the beginning of time. crotchety old fart rant over.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was all the hype that soured the whole thing for me. Heck I didn't even know there was going to be an eclipse until a week or so before it happened and during that week I couldn't walk into a store without hearing about it. Not lying, I watch, read and listen to zero news and this forum is the only form of social media I use. I'm old and fed up and its all going down the toilet anyway so what difference does an event like the eclipse even make since it was going to happen no matter what.
Oh and I did look pre peak post peak and during peak with no glasses and I'm not blind. Sure I saw spots afterwards like I lways have when I looked at the sun. Was it supposed to be brighter yesterday than any other day? People have been looking at the sun since the beginning of time. crotchety old fart rant over.
I have been waiting for about 4 years when I learned we would be in the path of totality. I really wanted to head out to west Texas as it’s one of the darkest places in the country. But last year sometime I went to start planning out somewhere to stay and the hotel prices were already outrageous.

No joke I saw campsites with no utilities running around $1100 a night. For an event that I total lasts all of an hour haha.

At first, I wanted to get dead center in its path because the original maps were predicting a little under 6 minutes of darkened skies. But for those prices I happily watched it from my back yard haha.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been waiting for about 4 years when I learned we would be in the path of totality. I really wanted to head out to west Texas as it’s one of the darkest places in the country. But last year sometime I went to start planning out somewhere to stay and the hotel prices were already outrageous.

No joke I saw campsites with no utilities running around $1100 a night. For an event that I total lasts all of an hour haha.

At first, I wanted to get dead center in its path because the original maps were predicting a little under 6 minutes of darkened skies. But for those prices I happily watched it from my back yard haha.

All my sourness aside it was kinda cool but nothing I would consider traveling to see. We were in the perfect spot just sitting in our yard. And hey now I can say I saw one in my lifetime, not that I have anyone to tell except you folks and strangers in the store lol

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the last ring eclipse from Corpus Christi 10/14/1023. Not this eclipse

IMG_0853.jpeg
IMG_0852.jpeg
IMG_0850.jpeg

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I understand the crotchety old man thing. I just turned 60 and I feel that way. But the Eclipse was AWESOME! I saw it in 2017. What you saw was something that VERY few planets have. The odds of finding a planet with similar conditions, then adding on if said planet is populated with intelligent life, the odds are astronomical. Simply astronomical. If anything, just know you saw an incredibly rare event. And appreciate it for what it is.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! I was stoked just to see it at all. Especially because it was looking a bit dicey with our cloud cover.

Why didn’t that 2023 eclipse come up when I was searching a few years ago for this eclipse haha. We go to corpus/port a in July every year lol

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look how far our education systems have come since the 80's! We also wear seatbelts instead of piling into the back of your friends Mom's station wagon on the way to Quick Chek so they could let you run in to buy them cigarettes.
Gen-X, baby!!! We had it the best. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

No helmets, seat belts were optional, we drank from the hose, we got kicked out of the house in the morning and just had to be home for dinner... and we're still here! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :cool: :winking-face-with-tongue:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw an eclipse when I was a kid. Too long ago to remember it was a full or partial I mentioned that in a store and I had some lady in there tell me I was nuts because it only happens every 100 years and I'm not old enough to have seen one. I guess i should prepared myself with knowledge so I can argue back but I find it easier to avoid the interaction.

No helmets, seat belts were optional, we drank from the hose, we got kicked out of the house in the morning and just had to be home for dinner... and we're still here! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :cool: :winking-face-with-tongue:

Taking turns with your siblings holding into the rabbit ear antenna so you could receive one of the 3 black and white channels broadcasting. Dang I miss those days.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look how far our education systems have come since the 80's! We also wear seatbelts instead of piling into the back of your friends Mom's station wagon on the way to Quick Chek so they could let you run in to buy them cigarettes.
In the back of the wagon…I remember being able to sit in the front. And child’s car seats were a luxury item that no one could afford. Bike helmeted were unheard of too!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the crotchety old man thing. I just turned 60 and I feel that way. But the Eclipse was AWESOME! I saw it in 2017. What you saw was something that VERY few planets have. The odds of finding a planet with similar conditions, then adding on if said planet is populated with intelligent life, the odds are astronomical. Simply astronomical. If anything, just know you saw an incredibly rare event. And appreciate it for what it is.
Sorry, big astronomy nerd, here are solar eclipse views on moons/dwarf planets with saltwater oceans if this thread isn't off topic enough:
Screenshot_20240409_184329_Samsung Internet~2.jpg

(Solar eclipse on enceladus (saturn moon)
Screenshot_20240409_185715_Samsung Internet.jpg

(Solar eclipse on titan (saturn moon)
Screenshot_20240409_190038_Samsung Internet.jpg

(Solar eclipse on europa (jupiter moon)
Screenshot_20240409_191301_Samsung Internet.jpg

Solar eclipse on pluto (won't occur again until october 2103)

Last edited:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, big astronomy nerd, here are solar eclipse views on moons/dwarf planets with saltwater oceans if this thread isn't off topic enough:

Very cool!!!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These are computer generated image, not actual image of the event. There is no camera on Pluto or these moon to record these images.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! I was stoked just to see it at all. Especially because it was looking a bit dicey with our cloud cover.

Why didn’t that 2023 eclipse come up when I was searching a few years ago for this eclipse haha. We go to corpus/port a in July every year lol

I don't know. I wondered the same thing. My best friend from high school was in Corpus when it occurred. Got some good pics. He had NO idea it was coming. Very cool!

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh man I remember that! I'm a dreaded Baby Boomer. GenZ (my daughter) has it in their heads that WE destroyed the planet. That works for ALL generations pre-GenZ. GenZ actually has a chance to change things. But I remember ALL that freedom we had. Play in the woods and be home when the street lights come on (or if you can't see anything in the woods!). I reminded my girl that WE (and GenX) created the Internet. So there!!!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back