Tomini Tang aggression towards Bicolor Blenny

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’m wondering if someone’s had similar experience and could possibly offer some advice?
I isolated a juvenile Tomini Tang who after a couple weeks of being super chill and peaceful.. began aggressively going after my Bicolor Blenny (also juvenile)

Im assuming Tang’s aggression is likely due to the Blenny’s similar feeding habits. (and possibly similar orange colorings(?) In any case, the Tomini was going nuts towards him and the poor guy could hardly come out of his rock perches/ hiding spots without being pestered.
The Tomini’s been in the fuge (alone) for over a month now.
Should I give it another shot? Try another introduction to see if they can work things out?
Or is it a lost cause/waste of time?

Any similar experience shares would be super appreciated. Cheers
Welcome to R2R Val.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

spockwelcome.jpg

OP
OP
Valhalla Reefer

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it gets real bad what you're doing us good. Let him think its a new tank maybe he will leave it alone
Thanks everyone for the welcomes!
Appreciated! I just noticed al the replies today..thanks! (As I’m new I was under the impression I’d receive an email notification)
Glad I checked in.

My aim was to have a peaceful tank and I heard many say how peaceful and chill Tomini Tangs are. So I was really surprised he was being so aggro towards the Blenny.

Here’s an update:
As my fishtrap worked well the first time- I decided to give it another try. I reintroduced the Tomini 4 days ago.

Day 1 I noticed the Tomini start to act a little aggressive towards Bicolor after a few hours. I started thinking..crap here we go again.

Day 2 I noticed that the Bicolor wasn’t hiding and was actually perched out in the open..almost like he was taunting the Tomini this time LoL .but he’d make a dash for a hide once the Tomini came close.
Glad to see though, that this time the Bicolor isn’t nearly as afraid and the Tomini is showing signs that it’s not fixated on tormenting the Blenny. Fingers crossed.

Day 4. So far so good. Could it be the month in fuge jail for this Tang did the trick? Maybe these guys will work it out?..or the Blenny will make a game of avoidance? Well, as long as the Tomini doesn’t start going bat**** crazy again like the first time.. all is well for now.

I’ll update again in a week for anyone interested if this worked.

Thanks again to all who replied with comments and suggestions! What an amazing community. Hope everyone’s doing well under the circumstances. Cheers

75gal 48x20x20 mixed reef
2 ocellaris clowns
Blue streak Wrasse
Royal Gramma
Bicolor Blenny
Last additions (added together)
Hippo Tang
Tomini Tang

(This system’s been up for 6 months now. I’ve returned to hobby after a 4 year hiatus..but I’ve been following along other reefers on YouTube the whole time..Stoked to be back!)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back