Tomini Tang aggression towards Bicolor Blenny

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’m wondering if someone’s had similar experience and could possibly offer some advice?
I isolated a juvenile Tomini Tang who after a couple weeks of being super chill and peaceful.. began aggressively going after my Bicolor Blenny (also juvenile)

Im assuming Tang’s aggression is likely due to the Blenny’s similar feeding habits. (and possibly similar orange colorings(?) In any case, the Tomini was going nuts towards him and the poor guy could hardly come out of his rock perches/ hiding spots without being pestered.
The Tomini’s been in the fuge (alone) for over a month now.
Should I give it another shot? Try another introduction to see if they can work things out?
Or is it a lost cause/waste of time?

Any similar experience shares would be super appreciated. Cheers

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome to R2R. #WelcometoR2R to

I'd try hanging or taping a mirror to the tank for a while. The tomini will think it's another tomini and focus its attention to the mirror.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I have not had that experience so I'm also curious to see what others say.

Clownfish.gif

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’m wondering if someone’s had similar experience and could possibly offer some advice?
I isolated a juvenile Tomini Tang who after a couple weeks of being super chill and peaceful.. began aggressively going after my Bicolor Blenny (also juvenile)

Im assuming Tang’s aggression is likely due to the Blenny’s similar feeding habits. (and possibly similar orange colorings(?) In any case, the Tomini was going nuts towards him and the poor guy could hardly come out of his rock perches/ hiding spots without being pestered.
The Tomini’s been in the fuge (alone) for over a month now.
Should I give it another shot? Try another introduction to see if they can work things out?
Or is it a lost cause/waste of time?

Any similar experience shares would be super appreciated. Cheers
What size tank? What other fish do you have in the tank?

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ctenochaetus tang I have is really aggressive as well. When I introduced a flame angel, the tang was so mean that angelfish dove headfirst into a rock crevice. I was able to pull him out and move him to clear acclimation box -- bad choice. The tang continued to antagonize it and the next morning the angel was dried up on the floor :(

Needless to say, I'd sell the tang. Yellow tangs have been much more passive IME

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great advice already so Welcome to R2R!!!

All fish are different so you could try the mirror trick as already said, or maybe add him in an acclimatisation box to get used to each other

Back