Tomini Tang Growout?

dross9615

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I am planning on growing out a tomini tang in my 32 gallon to help clean things up before moving to my 75. My main worry is I just got an order of High end zoas and I am concerned they might get nipped. Has anyone had major issues with tominis chewing on zoas? is it all in all a terrible idea or do you all think if keep it well fed that it should be fine. I seem to not see much specific information specifically with tominis eating zoas and can only find one instance of them munching on acans.

I guess Im just trying to get some piece of mind this will work short term.

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I am planning on growing out a tomini tang in my 32 gallon to help clean things up before moving to my 75. My main worry is I just got an order of High end zoas and I am concerned they might get nipped. Has anyone had major issues with tominis chewing on zoas? is it all in all a terrible idea or do you all think if keep it well fed that it should be fine. I seem to not see much specific information specifically with tominis eating zoas and can only find one instance of them munching on acans.

I guess Im just trying to get some piece of mind this will work short term.
I have one myself no worries they are very shy at first but after that make sure u have enough for them to eat in a 32 gallon once he gets started month and a half or sooner they won't be much left fair warning

OP
OP
D

dross9615

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to supplement a lot with nori and other macro algaes to keep happy once it cleans up, luckily a lot of the algae in the tank isn't long and stringy and mostly new growth as I snip any patches that come up between water changes.

OP
OP
D

dross9615

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one myself no worries they are very shy at first but after that make sure u have enough for them to eat in a 32 gallon once he gets started month and a half or sooner they won't be much left fair warning
Any tips on foods they really like, ogo, ulva, pom pom, nori, etc.?

OP
OP
D

dross9615

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dried sea weed with holder on glass and some cheato from my reactor
Good to know, I already have plenty of nori. Was just planning on getting something live like ogo to put in their and just hope it grows faster than it gets eaten haha

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dried sea weed with holder on glass and some cheato from my reactor
Sorry not really related to the topic and don’t want to steal the thread but you can actually feed tangs chaeto from the fuge? I guess it’s just a form of algae for them

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rarely, a tang can eat certain corals, but I wouldn't be concerned about that.

For the short term, like a month or two, the 32 gallon will be okay. I wouldn't keep it in there much longer than that. Tomini, and the other Ctenochaetus tangs, don't naturally eat macro algae like the other tangs. So don't be surprised if it doesn't go for nori.

OP
OP
D

dross9615

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rarely, a tang can eat certain corals, but I wouldn't be concerned about that.

For the short term, like a month or two, the 32 gallon will be okay. I wouldn't keep it in there much longer than that. Tomini, and the other Ctenochaetus tangs, don't naturally eat macro algae like the other tangs. So don't be surprised if it doesn't go for nori.

Any recommendations for food?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations for food?
A mix of meaty foods like Mysis, spirulina brine, or prepared mix like Rod's or marine cuisine along with flake/pellet. And if it will take nori, then great, add that in too. So...meaty+flake/pellet+algae.

If you can see it eat at the store, that's best.

OP
OP
D

dross9615

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mix of meaty foods like Mysis, spirulina brine, or prepared mix like Rod's or marine cuisine along with flake/pellet. And if it will take nori, then great, add that in too. So...meaty+flake/pellet+algae.

If you can see it eat at the store, that's best.

Will do, I will give it a few tries. As long as it doesn't go after my zoas I dont care what it eats.

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tomini is a trash can and will eat just about anything that goes in my tank. I mainly feed them nori from the sushi counter, and seaweed sheets (red or green). They constantly graze the rockwork and glass, hungrily eat flake, pellets, frozen food, other fishes poop, and explore the whole tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back