Tomini tang in 32 biocube???

urchincoralfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I was just wondering if a tomini tang would be alright in a 32 gallon biocube mixed reef?? I am considering it for my next fish out of 2 but am not sure about it’s size. Thanks

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I was just wondering if a tomini tang would be alright in a 32 gallon biocube mixed reef?? I am considering it for my next fish out of 2 but am not sure about it’s size. Thanks

Probably not a good idea, no. Not even a tang police sort of comment but rather swimming space. Remember you are going to be adding substrate (mabe), rocks, power heads, and corals. This is going to take away available swimming space for some fish as your tank matures (corals grow). Tangs are swimmers. They like room to graze.

I know this may be a bad reference but at least you can see how Tangs swim about in the wild. That is all I'm trying to show here. My opinion outside of isolation for medication or QT or emergency &/or temporary holding it is too small.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good on you for doing the research/asking the question Before buying it

No, a Tomini isn't suitable to live long term in a 32. They can get 5-6" and need more tank.

There are quite a few threads on stocking ideas for this size tank. Read through a few for suitable ideas.

Happy reefing.

WReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 32 and tominis are one of my favorite fish . I have the dream , but not the fish .

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tomini in my 75 and it swims the whole tank constantly. Not fast or aggressive. Just slowly swimming the whole tank. I wouldn't put one in a smaller tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar tang in a 4’ tank, Ctenochaetus binotatus which is a relative to tominiensis. Mine will swim the whole length of my 4’ tank in 3 to 4 fin flaps when he’s trying to keep everyone in check. Obviously when he’s calm and just grazing it’s not as fast but really, Ctenochaetus tangs should be kept in 3’ or 4’ tanks minimum, the rest of the genera need Atleast 6’ if not 8’+ in my opinion.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1658055616788.jpeg

Excuse me sir... What were you saying?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back