Too large fish population?

jpg001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I have a reef tank started with dry stones seeded with bacteria in blisters and live bacteria from natural seawater.
I started this tank at the beginning of September 2020.
It is intended for soft corals and SPS with fish.

Tota capacity of the tank: 570l
The tank itself:
- 375l (120 * 60 * 52cm) (47 * 24 * 20 inches)
- Its decanter under the tank: 165l.
- it is fitted with two 6095 Tunze mixing pumps synchronized to create a swell effect.
- it is equipped with a Red Sea RSK 900 skimmer
- a Jecod DCP 10000 recovery pump
- an Evergrow LED lighting ramp.

The fish population in the tank to day :
I indicate the adult dimensions.
5 Chromis viridis + - 8 to 10 cm
2 Amphiprion ocellaris + - 10 cm
1 Zebrabrasoma flavescens + - 15 to 20 cm
1 Pterapogon kauderni + - 7 cm

After 6 months and by feeding generously 3 times a day my NO3 and PO4 are undetectable with the Hanna photometers and with the Salifert tests.
My seller suggests that I add to "pollute" the tank:
5 Pseudanthias squamipinnis up to 15 cm adults.

What do you think of this additional population?

Thank you for your answers.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that none of them will likely get anywhere close to the full wild adult size. 2/3 rds maybe. Lyretails require space. I would not personally put 5 in a 4' tank.

OP
OP
J

jpg001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that the Anthias must be in small groups (5) in a tank. How would you do ? Is it necessary, for example, to increase the population or to do otherwise to obtain a reasonable level of NO3 and PO4?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose it. Sodium nitrate and trisodium phosphate are so cheap. I have about 20 years worth of doses for $20 and I don’t have to worry about doing a ton of extra feedings

OP
OP
J

jpg001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what do you think of adding supplementation from ATI type N (nitrogen) and P (phosphate) to an immature tank to feed the bacteria?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer shredding my money to lighting it on fire. it’s very likely the same ingredients but you pay a 500% markup for them to slap a logo on it and shake the bottle. The only downside to making it at home is you need a scale that can read .01 gram accuracy for phosphates or dilute the solutions. Randy has posted recipes for stock solutions. I have used some of the branded stuff but sometimes they are not very direct on the exact amount increase per dose. Cant recommend that brand because I havnt used it

Those are the raw ingredients I use. I have used Neophos and Seachem Nitrogen.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking to add fish or raise your nitrates and phosphates? If you just want to raise your no3 and po4 without adding fish thus feeding more to get them up then thats probably the most natural way of doing it. If not then just liberally broadcasting coral food will raise your levels, you just need to monitor the levels by testing till you find the right combination and amount of feeding till you get to and maintain the levels you want.

OP
OP
J

jpg001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not looking to add fishes, I find my current population sufficient (see above). It is my salesperson who suggests that I add 5 Anthias to increase my NO3 and PO4. He even considers that I could add some more fish as he takes into account the total volume of 150 gallons.

Do you think, considering the volume of the 375l / 100 gallons tank and its length of 47 inches, for the comfort of the fish, it is reasonable to add 5 Anthias?

I understand that I can feed more and add coral food to increase nitrates and phosphates.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 66 45.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back