Too many big fish?

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I posted this a while back but didnt get many opinions on it.

My tank is 5 feet by 2 feet by 18 inches tall.

My stocking list is as follows

1x purple tang
1x white tail bristletooth
1x powder blue
2x clowns
1x cleaner wrasse
1x springer damsel
1x baby mandarin

All my tands are juveniles about 2 inches or so. I am curious if they would all be fine or if I should return the powder blue. I say the powder blue specifically because he was the last one added and purple and white tail have almost "paired" so to speak, swimming together eating together and cuddling together its kind of strange. I have noticed aggression marks since adding the powder blue and I am sure it is over territory. I know if it was just the two they would be fine but with the powder blue if it will be and with them just growing im sure more aggression is inevitable.

Do you think I should return him or I should let it play out?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi as long as playing nice,let it ride,but powder can turn evil in a day!! :)

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi as long as playing nice,let it ride,but powder can turn evil in a day!! :)
Well it's interesting my purple tang has more less paired with me white tail. The powder blue will try to bully the white tail and then slaps the powder blue anytime he gets near the white tail. So I'm not sure if it's something to let ride. Keep in mind they are all 2 inches so imagine when the grow up.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go along for the ride.
Well it's interesting my purple tang has more less paired with me white tail. The powder blue will try to bully the white tail and then slaps the powder blue anytime he gets near the white tail. So I'm not sure if it's something to let ride. Keep in mind they are all 2 inches so imagine when the grow up.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my current tank running for 5 years now and my Yellow Tang has been in there since day one. 3 years ago I added a purple tang and as expected the yellow tang went full jihad on the purple tang. This lasted 2 weeks or so and the purple tang was not allowed to leave a corner of the tank and was really beat up. Knowing how fish work I just rolled with it. Slowly over time around 6 months the yellow allowed the purple to roam around a bit. 3 years later and they get along fine but the yellow still keeps him in check from time to time. I won't even start with my 5 triggers.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my current tank running for 5 years now and my Yellow Tang has been in there since day one. 3 years ago I added a purple tang and as expected the yellow tang went full jihad on the purple tang. This lasted 2 weeks or so and the purple tang was not allowed to leave a corner of the tank and was really beat up. Knowing how fish work I just rolled with it. Slowly over time around 6 months the yellow allowed the purple to roam around a bit. 3 years later and they get along fine but the yellow still keeps him in check from time to time. I won't even start with my 5 triggers.
5 TRIGGERS?!?? lol MAN YOU ARE CRAZY.

I WANNA SEE

Got any pics haha?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I dont see an issue here. I had a 360g with 14 tangs and there was squabbling but no size issues

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d replace the Powder Blue with a smaller Acanthurus Tang but that’s me. Heard the harder Acanthurus really need that extra space. I’ll leave it to the others to suggest good, smaller Acanthurus that are easy to keep.

Or maybe you could do a Foxface in place of the Powder Blue. A smaller Genicanthus angel would also work well. Yellow Pyramid Butterfly maybe?

The Cleaner Wrasse is a hard one. Often won’t eat any prepared foods unless you get a Captive Bred one from ORA or another source. I’d take that one out for a smaller species of Halichoeres wrasse, maybe even a smaller Hogfish like a Red Stripe or Yellow Candy though not sure how they do with inverts or other wrasses / other fish.

The Mandarin I wouldn’t add until your system is approaching 1-year old. If you want one that might be eating captive fare from the get go, ORA or another captive bred source is the way to go.

Other than that, looks good. :) I’d totally consider adding a shrimp and goby pair, maybe a Midas Blenny and basslet too. Or maybe a dwarf angel?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are all about 2" then this is part of the problem really. If there was an obvious size difference then it's easy for the larger fish to become dominant and the others submit, which tends to calm things down.
As long as no nasty physical damage (the odd nipped fin or bite mark isn't that bad) is done then I'd just sit it out. You will probably find the powder grows faster and them dominates as it gets ever larger than the others.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of the Powder Blue in a 5 foot tank though? I don’t know how big they get so I was telling the OP that perhaps they do better in a bigger tank.

It's a personal choice thing really. I wouldn't personally add one to a 5ft but there are enough people that have to know it can work fine. I don't think a slightly bigger tank helps much with their "personalty" but giving them as much space as possible is a good idea with whatever fish you keep. Tank size is just one aspect of keeping a tang happy, lots of food and flow play their part as well and I'm sure the op has that covered.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back