OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d replace the Powder Blue with a smaller Acanthurus Tang but that’s me. Heard the harder Acanthurus really need that extra space. I’ll leave it to the others to suggest good, smaller Acanthurus that are easy to keep.

Or maybe you could do a Foxface in place of the Powder Blue. A smaller Genicanthus angel would also work well. Yellow Pyramid Butterfly maybe?

The Cleaner Wrasse is a hard one. Often won’t eat any prepared foods unless you get a Captive Bred one from ORA or another source. I’d take that one out for a smaller species of Halichoeres wrasse, maybe even a smaller Hogfish like a Red Stripe or Yellow Candy though not sure how they do with inverts or other wrasses / other fish.

The Mandarin I wouldn’t add until your system is approaching 1-year old. If you want one that might be eating captive fare from the get go, ORA or another captive bred source is the way to go.

Other than that, looks good. :) I’d totally consider adding a shrimp and goby pair, maybe a Midas Blenny and basslet too. Or maybe a dwarf angel?
Lol I don't think there is any smaller acanthurus. I would love a foxface but they eat coral.

My system is 1 years old and I've had the Mandarin for 8.months and he eats mysis.

My cleaner wrasse is a fat pig and I've had him for 6 months.

Dwarf angel maybe but again I think they eat coral or can anyways. Midas blenny would be cool but i have never seen one at my LFS

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of the Powder Blue in a 5 foot tank though? I don’t know how big they get so I was telling the OP that perhaps they do better in a bigger tank.
I'm going to sell him to a vet tech with an 8 footer and her fav fish is a powder blue it seems like the right thing to do to me

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol that’s alright. I’ve heard of Foxfaces eating coral but maybe that’s rare? I heard the Lavender, Convict (harder to keep), and Mimic (Lemonpeel and Eibli, but the Lemonpeel Mimic looks better as an adult) are also among the smaller Acanthurus. Japonicus AKA white Face, not the Powder Brown, is reportedly hardier according to Bob Fenner but I’ve never kept one.

Grats on the Cleaner Wrasse. I’m glad it’s doing well and eating well. Grats on the Mandarin too.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your LFS have a somewhat limited selection of fish? Can they order a fish you want for you?
I can order one but when I think about these fish fully grown it's probably best to just keep the two anyways

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I see. Purple Tang and the Bristletooth would be fine. I’ve done surveys of how big Zebrasoma Tangs get and the overwhelming majority says they top out at 6-7”, some reaching 8”. One member has a 26-year old Yellow Tang that is maybe 5”, another has a 20+ year old Purple Tang that’s topped out at about 7” maybe give or take half an inch.

Bristletooths might get even smaller.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I see. Purple Tang and the Bristletooth would be fine. I’ve done surveys of how big Zebrasoma Tangs get and the overwhelming majority says they top out at 6-7”, some reaching 8”. One member has a 26-year old Yellow Tang that is maybe 5”, another has a 20+ year old Purple Tang that’s topped out at about 7” maybe give or take half an inch.

Bristletooths might get even smaller.
Bristletooth should definitely be smaller. But with their peaceful and affectionate coexistence I don't want the powder blue to keep trying to ruin it hahaha

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the large fish list is OK other than the fact that PBT is likely a little large for the tank once he mature. You may have problem with it. If this is my tank, I know I will end up with one or two more large fish.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 167 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back