Too Much flow?

jessepinkmxn

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 10, 2023
Messages
58
Reaction score
24
Location
Andover
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if my tank has too much flow for this pair of clowns I picked up yesterday. The jump gyre I have is already on 10% and my return pump is also on the lowest setting. I’m not sure if they are moving erratically because they are small, captive bread or new to the tank, or if I have too much flow.

Let me know.
 
Na, not even close. you could crank it up and be fine. Clowns are not open water swimmers and make it look like it is harder than it is just because of the way they move their middles. You would know it was too much for the fish if they were hugging the rock in dead zone. Them out swimming in the current indicates it is very much not too much. I wouldn't worry about them when deciding flow, but watch your coral. Those torches look like they could use more too.
 
I was wondering if my tank has too much flow for this pair of clowns I picked up yesterday. The jump gyre I have is already on 10% and my return pump is also on the lowest setting. I’m not sure if they are moving erratically because they are small, captive bread or new to the tank, or if I have too much flow.

Let me know.
Looks like they enjoy surfing. If it was too much they would stay away from the flow, in my opinion.
 
@JoJosReef
Na, not even close. you could crank it up and be fine. Clowns are not open water swimmers and make it look like it is harder than it is just because of the way they move their middles. You would know it was too much for the fish if they were hugging the rock in dead zone. Them out swimming in the current indicates it is very much not too much. I wouldn't worry about them when deciding flow, but watch your coral. Those torches look like they could use more too.
Yeah i had it on 20% for my gyre I only have a 40 gal so I think it was plenty, thanks for the feedback. Ill put it back on 20.
 
Looks like they like the flow. I personally would turn it up a bit. I run my xf330 in a forward reverse .ode hitting about 50% at max--40% if the pump has been recently cleaned. I'd also nudge it up slightly for more surface agitation. Looks great, I really like your tank! Maybe some NPS under the arch?
 
Looks like they like the flow. I personally would turn it up a bit. I run my xf330 in a forward reverse .ode hitting about 50% at max--40% if the pump has been recently cleaned. I'd also nudge it up slightly for more surface agitation. Looks great, I really like your tank! Maybe some NPS under the arch?
Thankyou, your tank is an inspiration for us all, however my tank is currently fighting some negligence. I had an ich outbreak months ago, and as a result of only 1 survivor my nitrates bottomed out and im currently battling hair and bubble algae as well as diatoms. NPS corals seem interesting but my current layout needs some work, looks great for fish but not many spots to glue frags. After I clear up this algae im going to change the layout and Ill seek your advice on my other page :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new