Tools for Fragging Coral on Ceramic Plates ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ober_Reef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ober_Reef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2021
Messages
655
Reaction score
398
Location
Eastern Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

For those of you who grow coral out on ceramic plates or tiles, what tool do you use to frag ? I have two zoa colony’s about ready and a chalice that has completely overgrown my 2.7” diameter plates. The bone cutters I have are not strong enough. I was thinking of looking into a better pair or looking into a dremel/rotary tool. Thanks for any advice !

P.S I know some of you own coral band saws but I do not see myself purchasing one of them in the near future so other suggestions are preferred!
 
If you drowned them on the shiny part of the tile, you can use a razor blade to cleanly remove them from the plate and then glue them onto plugs.
It works well with both Zoas/Palys/mushrooms as well as with encrusting corals.

Otherwise, depending on how brittle the tile in question, you may "scratch" it with a hand saw, or otherwise if it isn't brittle you can use a Dremel.
 
Hey Everyone,

For those of you who grow coral out on ceramic plates or tiles, what tool do you use to frag ? I have two zoa colony’s about ready and a chalice that has completely overgrown my 2.7” diameter plates. The bone cutters I have are not strong enough. I was thinking of looking into a better pair or looking into a dremel/rotary tool. Thanks for any advice !

P.S I know some of you own coral band saws but I do not see myself purchasing one of them in the near future so other suggestions are preferred!
The bandsaw for Coral will pay for itself the first time you use it
 
Hey Everyone,

For those of you who grow coral out on ceramic plates or tiles, what tool do you use to frag ? I have two zoa colony’s about ready and a chalice that has completely overgrown my 2.7” diameter plates. The bone cutters I have are not strong enough. I was thinking of looking into a better pair or looking into a dremel/rotary tool. Thanks for any advice !

P.S I know some of you own coral band saws but I do not see myself purchasing one of them in the near future so other suggestions are preferred!
Lowes. Flooring department. Tile nippers.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 23 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new