Tools for Fragging Coral on Ceramic Plates ?

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

For those of you who grow coral out on ceramic plates or tiles, what tool do you use to frag ? I have two zoa colony’s about ready and a chalice that has completely overgrown my 2.7” diameter plates. The bone cutters I have are not strong enough. I was thinking of looking into a better pair or looking into a dremel/rotary tool. Thanks for any advice !

P.S I know some of you own coral band saws but I do not see myself purchasing one of them in the near future so other suggestions are preferred!

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you drowned them on the shiny part of the tile, you can use a razor blade to cleanly remove them from the plate and then glue them onto plugs.
It works well with both Zoas/Palys/mushrooms as well as with encrusting corals.

Otherwise, depending on how brittle the tile in question, you may "scratch" it with a hand saw, or otherwise if it isn't brittle you can use a Dremel.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

For those of you who grow coral out on ceramic plates or tiles, what tool do you use to frag ? I have two zoa colony’s about ready and a chalice that has completely overgrown my 2.7” diameter plates. The bone cutters I have are not strong enough. I was thinking of looking into a better pair or looking into a dremel/rotary tool. Thanks for any advice !

P.S I know some of you own coral band saws but I do not see myself purchasing one of them in the near future so other suggestions are preferred!
The bandsaw for Coral will pay for itself the first time you use it

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Lowes. Flooring department. Tile nippers.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back