Top ten reasons you should NOT dose a new cycling tank to 2 ppm ammonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very confused. The thread title is “why you should not dose 2ppm ammonia”. But the first post doesn’t provide any links indicating what is harmful or detrimental about doing so. Instead it just talks about how others are successful without doing so (this isn’t new, ever heard the phrase more than one way to skin a cat?). It then seems to talk about api vs seneye, and bottle bacteria etc etc, it’s all over the place. Did I miss something?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, you would likely get hammered on reddit for being a know-nothing charlatan without any experience in this only for yourself. Your act would likely have less traction there than here. People are actually harsh there. Words are cheap there. ...so yes, in a way, they are more troll free, just not the way that you are thinking.

Keep on talking since that seems to be what you do best. Keep on thinking that you figured out something that nobody figured out before - 10 minutes on WWM could have summed up your whole sand thread and that was on there for all to see when people used to dial up. Keep on introducing strawman like this that is no issue whatsoever to either stir up some shyte, try and look smart or just make it about you.

Do something of your own or at least be mature enough to know that you are going to get this kind of grief until you do. There might be one person that you are fooling...

Keep on thinking that I am a troll if you want. All that I do is turn these frags into colonies in less than a year, in my own house, help people with actual proven methods. Holy cow!, I even have sand.

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 4.03.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 4.03.59 PM.png

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but not in the reef sub or the general aquarium sub, the general sub is mostly noobs asking about cycling/what is wrong with my fish/people getting told their tank is too small for that fish and people simping for betta fish

the reef sub is mostly tank shots or coral ID
I'm quite familiar with both of them.

I'm also familiar with Brandon's posting patterns. Been reading him for a year.

The first time you (general you) tell somebody on Reddit The prove you wrong, You'll get eaten up in seconds by the masses. You think trolling is bad here. I mod three subreddits. It's not cute. hilarious, yes.. the right platform to lecture, and expect a cordial audience, Absolutely not. It doesn't matter what R/ you're in.

Generally moderators also don't want people that come in and preach.

It's not uncommon at all for mods to permaban people that come in and their threads always have to be modded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
repeating nonstop destructive input from the start must cease, time to get back on track. My thread isn’t designed to be wrecked by non contributors.

If I respond further my own thread gets locked vs grows and gets me more cycling jobs to test.

several people made some decent point and counter points, that’s where we can resume.

how complicated is the request to simply review the pros and cons of 2ppm cycling verification, and how that impacts the masses? It’s not.

We have enough cycle patterns posted as work threads to review new ways vs old and that’s where I’ll accept input further on the matter. Growing coral is what everyone here does, it’s common, we use parts that other people build, lights that other people make and sell, dosers that other people calculate inside tanks other people build, using feed methods everyone copies from the posts of others and buys from a store-there’s little innovation from what I can see we do by and large.

we want to review atypical cycling approaches and how that pans out in readable links. My goal is to keep this thread unlocked and gaining new insights on the matter of 2ppm cycling pros and cons.

Last edited:

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how complicated is the request to simply review the pros and cons of 2ppm cycling verification, and how that impacts the masses? It’s not.
That seems to be the premise of the thread. But I couldn’t find any objective data or links to the pros and cons of the 2ppm in your original post. If it’s not hard why didn’t you post it? You wrote paragraphs and a list of 7 items, none of which actually answered your title premise as to why to not use 2ppm ammonia.

If I have missed it somewhere in there please let me know so that I can read it.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, you would likely get hammered on reddit for being a know-nothing charlatan without any experience in this only for yourself. Your act would likely have less traction there than here. People are actually harsh there. Words are cheap there. ...so yes, in a way, they are more troll free, just not the way that you are thinking.

Keep on talking since that seems to be what you do best. Keep on thinking that you figured out something that nobody figured out before - 10 minutes on WWM could have summed up your whole sand thread and that was on there for all to see when people used to dial up. Keep on introducing strawman like this that is no issue whatsoever to either stir up some shyte, try and look smart or just make it about you.

Do something of your own or at least be mature enough to know that you are going to get this kind of grief until you do. There might be one person that you are fooling...

Keep on thinking that I am a troll if you want. All that I do is turn these frags into colonies in less than a year, in my own house, help people with actual proven methods. Holy cow!, I even have sand.

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 4.03.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 4.03.59 PM.png
oh lord, this garbage on Reddit would be brutal lol
Ill give him this, guy can take a beating and keep on going o_O

beat-up-kick.gif

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would get booted from reddit for sure by always trying to edit your posts and change the narrative later on. Nobody can hit a moving target. It is dirty, shows immaturity and lack of integrity.

2ppm cycle is NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER. None. Who cares if people want to do it? Who cares if they don't? It never has been - the false narrative that I read in the first post is just all wrong (if it has not been changed already and likely has). If somebody wants to do this some other way, then who cares about that too?

This is not the point, though, right? It was about you? A few pages ago, it was about your sand thread... or some other thing. It is only now back to 2 ppm after the backlash?

What is important is that people get help from real people who have experience to see them through. If somebody wants to get help from a reef2reef'er that uses the 2 PPM method and that person gets help to completion, then that is more important than posting pages and pages of meaningless drivel to the contrary that is not actually able to help somebody.

You quit the thread before you edited the last post. Took your ball and went home. Now you are back? How are the rest of us trolls? People have been telling you for as long as I can remember to stop this childish and non-helpful behavior, yet you still edit and change things down the road. You do this constantly with material discussions and not just quitting.

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 5.16.25 PM.png

I am not trying to be a jerk, but people need to know that if they want to listen to you what they are getting into. Words are still cheap, experience matters and so does being stand up with what you say and do. If nothing else, I only edit my posts for typos and spelling, or to add something (with a tag) and never do dirty tricks of changing things down the line to shift the narrative.

I am trying to help. If that is your intention at all, and I hope that it is, then look at the comments, GIFs and likes that I get on my posts and take that to heart. Your act is wearing thin. There are probably some good ways that you can help people, but the old ones are likely not long lived. This seems lost on you, but perhaps it can help somebody else succeed in the hobby by knowing whom to trust and whom not to.

There is no greater kindness in life than somebody taking the time to deliver a hard truth.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok guys- This is R2R and Not reddit and we whether or not in agreement need to be respectful and reasonable.
As we know, not every method works for every reefers and 2% has been known successful but not for everyone.
There's an easy method to this thread.. . . . Dont agree move on or ignore the person.
this is some 6th grade stuff (although entertaining to a degree).

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
repeating nonstop destructive input from the start must cease, time to get back on track. My thread isn’t designed to be wrecked by non contributors.

several people made some decent point and counter points, that’s where we can resume.

We have enough cycle patterns posted as work threads to review new ways vs old and that’s where I’ll accept input further on the matter. Growing coral is what everyone here does, it’s common, we use parts that other people build and dosers that other people calculate inside tanks other people build, using methods everyone copies from the posts of others-there’s little innovation from what I see.

we want to review atypical cycling approaches and how that pans out in readable links.
If growing coral were common (or easy), this forum and others like it wouldn't exist. That's a purposefully disingenuous statement to try and discredit the success and credibility of others while posting no evidence of your own.

But back to the topic at hand since you keep asking. What problem are you actually trying to solve here? Is it the fact that new reefers are going to post online asking questions about the status of their cycle which they think might be stuck? That's going to happen regardless of whether they're cycling with ammonia, ghost feeding or a piece of shrimp. And I don't see the bottled bacteria market as being as predatory or conspiratorial as you make it out to be. If it were, they would force you to buy the ammonium chloride with the bottled bacteria, but they don't. None of them do. It's an option that they recommend and you can either choose to use it or not, much like the rest of the hobby. And it works. So again, what problem are you trying to solve with this diatribe?

As others have pointed out, I appreciate your passion for discussion and trying to progress the hobby in new ways, but this one was a swing and a miss in my humble opinion.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALL HAIL BRANDON, KING OF THE CYCLE

happy waynes world GIF

edit: this is a sincere post, i learn so much from this guy. didn't see the drama til after i posted B)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's stop and take a breath. There are some strong opinions by some really good reefers being expressed in this thread. Please focus on the problem and not on each other - in other words be nice, that is the intended spirit of R2R. We may open this thread back up in a little bit. Until then, if you need to rant at someone please send me a PM.

~Peace

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After reviewing this thread, we wanted to let everyone know that we are choosing not to reopen this thread. When this topic is revisited, we expect a different tone - "rude, but true" is not a valid excuse for being unkind. If you have additional concerns or would like further clarification, please reach out to me (or any of the mods) directly with a PM.

~Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back