Torch and flatworms

Davidave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I picked up a ny knicks torch and got it home for a dip and it had about 15 small flat worms? I have a quarantine tank it’s been in since! I dipped a second round a few days later and nine more came off. Does anybody have a regimen or plan of action for this problem! I love the coral and it seems very healthy but am afraid to put it in my main tank at this point? (Sps dominant) any help is appreciated

IMG_6313.jpeg

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the bayer dip method. Keep my torch in there for 15 min shaking it periodically then two fresh tank water dips to get the bayer off. Then I cut off old skeleton and add a new frag plug before placing into my tank. No flatworms have showed up in my display yet.

Out of 20 torches a few of them shipped to me with flatworms on them

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I picked up a ny knicks torch and got it home for a dip and it had about 15 small flat worms? I have a quarantine tank it’s been in since! I dipped a second round a few days later and nine more came off. Does anybody have a regimen or plan of action for this problem! I love the coral and it seems very healthy but am afraid to put it in my main tank at this point? (Sps dominant) any help is appreciated

IMG_6313.jpeg
Are you able to put any wrasses or fish into the tank?

OP
OP
D

Davidave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the bayer dip method. Keep my torch in there for 15 min shaking it periodically then two fresh tank water dips to get the bayer off. Then I cut off old skeleton and add a new frag plug before placing into my tank. No flatworms have showed up in my display yet.

Out of 20 torches a few of them shipped to me with flatworms on them
Thank you

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyllia eating flatworms are not typically taken care of with any normal coral dip. A regime of Bayer is typically required. You must also be sure to scrub the skeleton below the flesh with a toothbrush to remove any eggs. The eggs are unaffected by the Bayer. My regime is to do a bayer dip and scrub once every 5 days with 3 treatments total and keep it in QT the entire time.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tangs now
I had a six line for about five years but he on day disappeared never to be seen again
Tangs won’t do anything for Flatworms, if you have a kid and the tank is 3’x2’ long, add in a Halichoeres wrasse or if you plan to not have any other wrasses or small fish or your QT tank is smaller than 3’ long, add a Sixline and/or a gang of Springer’s Damsels.

I had EEF almost 5 years ago and ran into a couple a few months back, my Wrasses managed to handle them rather fast. The first round I didn’t add wrasses in time so I suffered with a 1 headed Torch. Then unfortunately, that torch was wiped out a few months ago because I didn’t have any small wrasses that could get into the gaps the Flatworms were hiding in. I then moved the Hellfire torch into my nano and my smaller wrasses (Pink Streaks) managed to take out the remaining flatties. That torch later died of other issues unfortunately.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrub the base of the coral just below the flesh to dislodge and eggs. Toothbrush works well. 1 capful of revive and couple drops of seachem reef dip to 24oz of water. leave in dip for around 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat very 5 days over 2 week period to catch any eggs you missed that hatched.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back