Torch Coral: Dead our will it recover?

ZooMontana88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a system crash in June within my DT. Multiple blooms of bacteria and algae. I removed most of my LS to my QT. While in the QT tank, my torch started to close up. On the day that the DT was ready for the LS, I noticed a strange film on the top of my torch. I removed it and placed it in its new location and a slimy brown substance came off from where the film was at. Currently, it is still in my DT, yet it looks like it’s just the skeleton on the top. Is it dead, or will it regenerate after some time?
Photos to follow after lights come on...

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a system crash in June within my DT. Multiple blooms of bacteria and algae. I removed most of my LS to my QT. While in the QT tank, my torch started to close up. On the day that the DT was ready for the LS, I noticed a strange film on the top of my torch. I removed it and placed it in its new location and a slimy brown substance came off from where the film was at. Currently, it is still in my DT, yet it looks like it’s just the skeleton on the top. Is it dead, or will it regenerate after some time?

:eek: Sounds like brown jelly. I suggest isolating the torch into its own tank if possible (make sure none of that brown film gets onto any of your other corals!). Maybe try bagging it into a plastic bag underwater to move it. I've seen many suggestions about dipping with iodine dips/Lugols but do not have much experience with it as I have only encountered this once and didn't know what to do then.

I had a hammer frag get brown jelly and some of that film got onto a blue discosoma. A day later there was only the skeleton left of the hammer and the discosoma was spewing its organs out :(.

OP
OP
ZooMontana88

ZooMontana88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for the delay in uploading a photo. Here’s what it looks like today.

No other Coral has been affected.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof. That looks dead. :( Judging by your username, you are in the zoo? Reef Missoula just got some local torches down there last week or the week before. Might be some left.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back