Torch Coral: Dead our will it recover?

ZooMontana88

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2020
Messages
68
Reaction score
80
Location
Missoula
What state or country do you live in
Montana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a system crash in June within my DT. Multiple blooms of bacteria and algae. I removed most of my LS to my QT. While in the QT tank, my torch started to close up. On the day that the DT was ready for the LS, I noticed a strange film on the top of my torch. I removed it and placed it in its new location and a slimy brown substance came off from where the film was at. Currently, it is still in my DT, yet it looks like it’s just the skeleton on the top. Is it dead, or will it regenerate after some time?
Photos to follow after lights come on...
 
I had a system crash in June within my DT. Multiple blooms of bacteria and algae. I removed most of my LS to my QT. While in the QT tank, my torch started to close up. On the day that the DT was ready for the LS, I noticed a strange film on the top of my torch. I removed it and placed it in its new location and a slimy brown substance came off from where the film was at. Currently, it is still in my DT, yet it looks like it’s just the skeleton on the top. Is it dead, or will it regenerate after some time?
Photos to follow after lights come on...

:eek: Sounds like brown jelly. I suggest isolating the torch into its own tank if possible (make sure none of that brown film gets onto any of your other corals!). Maybe try bagging it into a plastic bag underwater to move it. I've seen many suggestions about dipping with iodine dips/Lugols but do not have much experience with it as I have only encountered this once and didn't know what to do then.

I had a hammer frag get brown jelly and some of that film got onto a blue discosoma. A day later there was only the skeleton left of the hammer and the discosoma was spewing its organs out :(.
 
I had a system crash in June within my DT. Multiple blooms of bacteria and algae. I removed most of my LS to my QT. While in the QT tank, my torch started to close up. On the day that the DT was ready for the LS, I noticed a strange film on the top of my torch. I removed it and placed it in its new location and a slimy brown substance came off from where the film was at. Currently, it is still in my DT, yet it looks like it’s just the skeleton on the top. Is it dead, or will it regenerate after some time?
Photos to follow after lights come on...

Sorry for the delay in uploading a photo. Here’s what it looks like today.

No other Coral has been affected.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
 
Oof. That looks dead. :( Judging by your username, you are in the zoo? Reef Missoula just got some local torches down there last week or the week before. Might be some left.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 15.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new