Torch coral EMERGENCY

Noobreefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch coral has been doing great for over 6 months and in the last month its started to die. I have no idea what is happening to it I've checked parameters done a coral dip and all of my other corals (leather, hammers, zoas, blastos, and another torch) are fine.

IMG-0087.jpg

Temperature is 23.3 and controlling with a temperature controller keeping it as close as possible to 24.

My parameters are:
  1. Ammonia: 0
  2. Nitrite: 0
  3. Nitrate: 0
  4. Phosphate: Close to 0
  5. Calcium: 460
  6. Alkalinity: 9
  7. Magnesium: 1600
what should my salinity be? Does Anyone know what's happening to my torch?

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity you want between 1.023-1.026. Bump temp to 25.5-26.5 Celsius. Other wise parameters look good.
No parameters are not good. Almost good but you never want No3 to be zero. Better to have high nitrate than to zero it out. Feed the tank more or dose No3 and make sure it’s never zero, same with Po4.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Zero PO4 and NO3 is not good. Has it always been this low? Is this the oldest LPS in the tank? What is the age of the tank? Do you feed the LPS coral?

OP
OP
Noobreefer1

Noobreefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No parameters are not good. Almost good but you never want No3 to be zero. Better to have high nitrate than to zero it out. Feed the tank more or dose No3 and make sure it’s never zero, same with Po4.
Thanks for picking that up. The tank has always been low nitrate (about 9 months old). To feed the tank more should I just put more frozen food in, or should I try to feed the corals individually?

OP
OP
Noobreefer1

Noobreefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Zero PO4 and NO3 is not good. Has it always been this low? Is this the oldest LPS in the tank? What is the age of the tank? Do you feed the LPS coral?
It's always been this low and this is the oldest coral in the tank. The tank is about 9 months old (20 gallon) and we don't feed any of the coral - just the two fish.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Echoing what others have said. You need some nitrate and phosphate. I shoot for between 5 and 10 nitrate and .02 to .05 phosphate. You can feed more but if your fish and coral don't need to be fed more you can dose No3 and Po4.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others - your Phos and Nitrate are too low - however the other possibility I would look at is physically examining the Torch. In my experience Torch's tend to like the water a bit 'dirtier', and if that isnt the issue, its likely either something is physically harming it on the outside (look closely) ie: Vermitid snails, or you may have a lightning deficiency (less likely)

ben5impson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch coral has been doing great for over 6 months and in the last month its started to die. I have no idea what is happening to it I've checked parameters done a coral dip and all of my other corals (leather, hammers, zoas, blastos, and another torch) are fine.

IMG-0087.jpg

Temperature is 23.3 and controlling with a temperature controller keeping it as close as possible to 24.

My parameters are:
  1. Ammonia: 0
  2. Nitrite: 0
  3. Nitrate: 0
  4. Phosphate: Close to 0
  5. Calcium: 460
  6. Alkalinity: 9
  7. Magnesium: 1600
what should my salinity be? Does Anyone know what's happening to my torch?
well your nutrients are bottomed out which is very bad and the doors open for dino outbreak now. but 1.025sg or 35.0ppt. the first response about good parameters is such oldschool thinking because when they could barely get coral to survive.
like this is probably irrelevant now but I would be dipping for everything and start dosing AB+ but don't use if you seen anything that might be dino outbreak. but yeah a lot of good advice here but don't trust anyone telling you to shoot for 0. and in all honesty shoot for consistency assuming you have resolved the nutrient issue

Back