Torch Coral Euphelia beginner questions.

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some beautiful torches that I want, but I am still really new to the reef-keeping hobby. I have some questions

1. I have heard about sweeper tentacles. Do torches have them, how long are they, and how far from other coral should I isolate them?
2. How hardy would you say they are? I am pretty steady with water changes and parameter tests. But as I said my tank is still new, and just got done with a bout of slime algae.
3. Does anyone have any advice on where I can find inexpensive frags, but from a good seller?
4. I have found a few on Robbies corals on eBay. Robbie's Corals. Has anyone got anything from him? I have spoken to him and seems like a legit good seller. I just haven't ordered online before. So far I have only gotten some from the local fish store.

I thought this one would be a good start for a Euphelia garden.
Green Cristata Torch Coral
1674688069026.png

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does “new” mean? One week? Three months? Six months? I’d probably wait until you get your algae issues under control?

And torches are fairly hardy in my experience. The tentacles you see on torches are what you get. They don’t get sweepers like a chalice or a space invader pectina. They can extend further when feeling happy, but nothing crazy. Cristats, like the one shown have shorter tentacles than most.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a cristata or grape coral and not a true torch if that is what you are looking for. You should be able to get torches or grape corals in any local fish store with the cheapest usually at the $30-$50 frag sections
I have seen some beautiful torches that I want, but I am still really new to the reef-keeping hobby. I have some questions

1. I have heard about sweeper tentacles. Do torches have them, how long are they, and how far from other coral should I isolate them?
2. How hardy would you say they are? I am pretty steady with water changes and parameter tests. But as I said my tank is still new, and just got done with a bout of slime algae.
3. Does anyone have any advice on where I can find inexpensive frags, but from a good seller?
4. I have found a few on Robbies corals on eBay. Robbie's Corals. Has anyone got anything from him? I have spoken to him and seems like a legit good seller. I just haven't ordered online before. So far I have only gotten some from the local fish store.

I thought this one would be a good start for a Euphelia garden.
Green Cristata Torch Coral
1. yes torches have sweepers and they can get pretty large, I would keep them 6 inches away from other corals at the least unless you want them to kill something
2. moderate, some can develop bacterial infections and sometimes waste away.
3. local fish store is your best bet
4.no idea, i usually dont buy on ebay,

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does “new” mean? One week? Three months? Six months? I’d probably wait until you get your algae issues under control?

And torches are fairly hardy in my experience. The tentacles you see on torches are what you get. They don’t get sweepers like a chalice or a space invader pectina. They can extend further when feeling happy, but nothing crazy. Cristats, like the one shown have shorter tentacles than most.
6 months, the algae is pretty much all gone. I was going to do one more treatment just to be safe. I was just looking to get one to start. Eventually getting more

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up on that cristata you're looking at. That is about as long as those tentacles get. I saw a couple a while back at the lfs and thought they were baby torches that just needed to grow out. I was hopeful to save a couple hundred only to find out they don't get long tentacles like a true torch gets.

I'm not sure where you're located, but around me, all of the lfs have the good colored torches for $200+ for 1-2 heads and the basic green ones for $60-80 for 1 head. I don't coral shop online very often at all, however, Lazy's Coral House is relatively local to me, but also ships and he has killer deals on torches right now. His stuff is extremely healthy too. I bought my first torch a few weeks ago from him. 3 head gold indo for only $125! He has smaller ones for only $100 as well. I have nothing but good things to say about him and his corals. Definitely worth checking out.

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up on that cristata you're looking at. That is about as long as those tentacles get. I saw a couple a while back at the lfs and thought they were baby torches that just needed to grow out. I was hopeful to save a couple hundred only to find out they don't get long tentacles like a true torch gets.

I'm not sure where you're located, but around me, all of the lfs have the good colored torches for $200+ for 1-2 heads and the basic green ones for $60-80 for 1 head. I don't coral shop online very often at all, however, Lazy's Coral House is relatively local to me, but also ships and he has killer deals on torches right now. His stuff is extremely healthy too. I bought my first torch a few weeks ago from him. 3 head gold indo for only $125! He has smaller ones for only $100 as well. I have nothing but good things to say about him and his corals. Definitely worth checking out.
I did not know that until I posted this thread. Thank you for letting me know, still would look interesting around longer tentacle torches

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back