Torch coral giving me mixed signals!

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly sure what to do here. Here's the story:
Been wanting an indo gold torch since I started. Have another indo green torch that has been growing well for several months, so I say what the heck. I'm getting one!
Bought it back in September from a member here. Never really got an answer as to weather it was aquacultured or imported recently, so I'm guessing it was the latter.
Here it is on arrival.
16008151348126718291080192336030.jpg

For the first couple weeks, it expelled occasionally and lost a lot of color. However, polyp extension during the day was always consistent and it seemed otherwise happy. I chalked it up to new tank acclimation. Torches are notoriously finicky, right? (Especially if they're maricultured)
Here it is at the height of the color loss. About a month in:
KIMG0095.JPG

After settling in, it has done great.... Mostly!
It has slowly regained color and I have not seen a single instance of expulsion since the initial "acclimation period" polyp extension has still remained consistent throughout.
However, the flesh on the tissue has been slowly receding. I have several other euphyllia in the tank and none are showing signs of recession that I can see. (Trust me... I've been looking)
I wasn't overly concerned since it seemed to be on the rebound, but the flesh is getting awfully close to the tip of the polyps.
16135394243975035784602165896102.jpg

So.... Here's the question.... Do I pull it and dip with lugol's to hopefully stop the infection or whatever is going on, at the risk of causing other stress related issues?

Or, leave it and hope the tissue starts to recover? I'm not optimistic about this, as the colors have really been coming back well over the last 2 months or so, but the tissue recession has continued.

And for those that will ask...
Sal. 35ppt
Alk 7.8-8.5 (usually 8-8.2)
Calc 420
Mag 1350
Nitrates 12ish (Nyos)
P04 .02-.05 currently .03(hannah ULR)
PAR is somewhere in the neighborhood of 180-220.
Indirect, moderate, alternating flow.

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am watching this because about 15 minutes after you posted this I put a post up with about the same dang thing going on!

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea my hammer has been experiencing a hurtfully slow recession where as my other euphyllia are not. Following.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of it today. Color is getting better for sure. starting to see the gold streaks and purple in the base again. It is much more obvious under actinic lighting.

Attachments

• KIMG0312.JPG
    KIMG0312.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 14

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just leave it. Mine did the same thing, the flesh receded and then grew back better then ever. I don’t think it was an infection, just a response to stress and changes in lighting and flow.

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to
Me over the fast 3 or so months. I recently traded my torch to a friend in hopes he could stop whatever was happening. The torch continues to expand fully but he states the skeletal tissue is still receded. I tried a dip and it didn’t stop so your call.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just leave it. Mine did the same thing, the flesh receded and then grew back better then ever. I don’t think it was an infection, just a response to stress and changes in lighting and flow.
I sure hope you're right!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back