Torch coral hosting clownfish

яєєƒ lιƒє

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I have 3 oscillaris clownfish in my 55 gallon reef tank. 2 are a pair, the other hangs around. A friend of mine gave them to me unexpectedly, so I didn’t have time to order anemonae for them to host in. However, I’ve read a few posts about torch coral hosting clownfish. I’ve wanted a torch coral since the beginning of my tank, but haven’t yet ordered any. Any tips on species that host clownfish well? Know any good sources for torch coral? Any torch coral tips at all would be greatly appreciated!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch corals will host clownfish, but the clownfish are also likely to kill it with their "nuzzling". The coral will also never fully expand once clownfish start interacting with it.

To put things in perspective, I had to get rid of my clownfish to stop them from killing my gold torch. They had already done a number to my low-grade frogspawn coral, and had started showing interest in the torch. The torch is worth around $250 and compared to the combined value of ~$40 for my clowns, it may be pretty easy to see why I went clownfishless haha

OP
OP
Я

яєєƒ lιƒє

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info!

Makes me sad :(
If i were to get an anemonae & the clownfish to host there, would they nuzzle with a torch coral afterwards?

OP
OP
Я

яєєƒ lιƒє

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns in my torch,no problems ,,all doing well,im glad my clowns found it as i have no anemones in a sps dominated tank

Interesting. Oscillera or peracula clowns? I have oscillera. Also, what kind of torch?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Я

яєєƒ lιƒє

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what species of clownfish was it? I have Oscillera, not sure if any species “nuzzles” any more than another, but something to consider. I’ve read a few articles about torch coral hosting clowns well, I’ll see if i can find them again. Could it be the Gold torch is less hearty than other species?

mbmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch corals will host clownfish, but the clownfish are also likely to kill it with their "nuzzling". The coral will also never fully expand once clownfish start interacting with it.

To put things in perspective, I had to get rid of my clownfish to stop them from killing my gold torch. They had already done a number to my low-grade frogspawn coral, and had started showing interest in the torch. The torch is worth around $250 and compared to the combined value of ~$40 for my clowns, it may be pretty easy to see why I went clownfishless haha

I had the same experience

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA is not really natural to occs or percs as found in wild, so takes longer for them to recognize it.

I've used hammer and frogspwan many times as an alternative, torch will work too, just know torch's often put out long sweepers and can sting corals, slightly more aggressive, why I prefer frog or hammer, but should be fine, just needs to be good size to deal w/ all the lovin from clowns

Gabe173

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three clowns, two are a pair and the other goes off on its own. They host 4 different types of corals. They have their favorites, but they go between the torch, frogspawn, finger leather and Duncans. I have lost two heads of torch before,but it appeared to be brown jelly disease and I can't necessarily attribute that to the clowns.

Gabe173

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three clowns, two are a pair and the o
I have three clowns, two are a pair and the other goes off on its own. They host 4 different types of corals. They have their favorites, but they go between the torch, frogspawn, finger leather and Duncans. I have lost two heads of torch before,but it appeared to be brown jelly disease and I can't necessarily attribute that to the clowns.
I'm replying to my own comment as an update. I Have recently had issues with these same clowns becoming WAY too aggressive with these corals. For instance, they bite the torches and frogspawn causing a bacterial infections and rapid tissue necrosis to set in, and they hit the Duncans with their bodies until it completely retracts. They have lived in these same corals for months with no issues then one day, boom. I was able to remove the clowns to a QT and treat all affected corals with twice daily iodine dips. Results remain to be seen....

ther goes off on its own. They host 4 different types of corals. They have their favorites, but they go between the torch, frogspawn, finger leather and Duncans. I have lost two heads of torch before,but it appeared to be brown jelly disease and I can't necessarily attribute that to the clowns.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, clownfish will happily live in a clay pot of just about any shape or size.. something about the texture of the pot.
Mine will go wherever I place the pot - they even lay eggs in it.

AF42FCA0-ECF6-4B62-91A5-E473D1CD79E8.jpeg

25BB8BF2-E6E6-44E0-9223-BE7207643AF3.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back