Torch coral showing skeletal teeth at night??

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aussie gold torch's retract just like my other Aussie torches but they show teeth from the skeleton unlike the others, during the daylight cycle they look healthy, anybody else have this same experience?

OP
OP
P

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a new addition? Could just be some early adjustment stress
it is a new addition but during the day its all fluffy and great looking but when the lights are about to go off it starts showing skeletal teeth, I'm hoping thats just how gold torchs are but my other aussie torch don't do that.

Greg Goby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aussie gold torch and can say that mine does do this regularly and it seems to be directly related with the transition to low light. It will slowly recede after peek light hours have passed and may stay semi-retracted with some skeleton showing for an hour or so before coming back out to about half its daylight spread before the lights totally go out. I've noticed that some of the polyps remain nice and fat even though they are barely peeking out during the recession stage. I upgraded my Biocube lights to steve's leds lately and I am only about halfway through the acclimation process. My aussie gold and my other two torches all crave more light because during the day they are super full like you are describing, a couple of the torches are semi transparent in body and polyps. My understanding is that this is a sign that they are not receiving high enough intensity light and are stretching out to get as much surface area as possible. I still expect to increase my intensity by approximately 35% more over the next month or so.

I personally don't know if corals recede in this way at any point during their daily cycle in the wild. I am curious.

OP
OP
P

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aussie gold torch and can say that mine does do this regularly and it seems to be directly related with the transition to low light. It will slowly recede after peek light hours have passed and may stay semi-retracted with some skeleton showing for an hour or so before coming back out to about half its daylight spread before the lights totally go out. I've noticed that some of the polyps remain nice and fat even though they are barely peeking out during the recession stage. I upgraded my Biocube lights to steve's leds lately and I am only about halfway through the acclimation process. My aussie gold and my other two torches all crave more light because during the day they are super full like you are describing, a couple of the torches are semi transparent in body and polyps. My understanding is that this is a sign that they are not receiving high enough intensity light and are stretching out to get as much surface area as possible. I still expect to increase my intensity by approximately 35% more over the next month or so.

I personally don't know if corals recede in this way at any point during their daily cycle in the wild. I am curious.
Nice it seems like this may just be this particular species behavior, I have heard that gold torches are collected from the mouth of freshwater rivers in Australia, where they receive varying degrees of salinity that border brackish water conditions, makes me think they might receive less light due to this as well, and may be adapted to lower light conditions from the amount of soot that is present in the water, I stick my golds in a shaded spot in my tank, im just always obsessing over the health of this particular animal because they are so expensive and pretty, ive lost a gold torch before due to a salinity swing to 1.032 due to a bad salinity probe, but I wonder if they like a lower salinity than most corals, makes me think that the parameters im used to keeping most corals may be insufficient for the golds.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 89 46.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 44.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 18 9.4%
Back