New torch, will it heal?

MattPLaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I just purchased what looked like a healthy torch frag, but when I got it home I noticed an issue. With the polyp receded I could see that part of the skeleton is exposed and flesh is gone from a sliver of the skeleton. It has been in my tank for about an hour and a half now and it has extended back out, and otherwise looks happy. I have put it in a low flow portion of my sand bed to acclimate.
Does this look like something that it can heal from? Or does this sort of wound kill a polyp?

Thanks!

20240608_155352.jpg 20240608_155402.jpg

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It can heal or it can spread. Lower flow plus feeding should help. I have had complete flesh band missing and recover 100% over a few weeks. I would definitely notify the seller immediately that you are concerned about it and provide a pic so they can see this is how it was on arrival

Reef Devils

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can heal or it can spread. Lower flow plus feeding should help. I have had complete flesh band missing and recover 100% over a few weeks. I would definitely notify the seller immediately that you are concerned about it and provide a pic so they can see this is how it was on arrival
What’s the best way to make something like this heal? I have a torch and its white flesh band has been receding. Are there things that you can dose to help it recover?

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What’s the best way to make something like this heal? I have a torch and its white flesh band has been receding. Are there things that you can dose to help it recover?

Keep calcium and alk in proper ranges, i lower the flow, and feed regularly

You can also try a product called Restor. You can soak food in it and then feed to the torch or dose to the tank

Reef Devils

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep calcium and alk in proper ranges, i lower the flow, and feed regularly

You can also try a product called Restor. You can soak food in it and then feed to the torch or dose to the tank
What food should I soak in restor?
Do I have to soak a food in it or can I just spot feed it to a coral?

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What food should I soak in restor?
Do I have to soak a food in it or can I just spot feed it to a coral?
You can soak mysis or flake. I like flake because it’s dry and absorbs liquid better. I just pour some Restor in a cup alone without saltwater so the flakes absorb Restor without being diluted. I use PE mysis flakes, the torches already eat mysis. But any high quality flake should work. Then turn off flow and gently squirt some into the torch and it should grab them and eat them

You can also vary and do the same method with aminos on alternating days. Reef energy ab+ Is a good one

029E11BF-DBA5-421D-B1EE-1C7B6E8CBE53.jpeg

Last edited:

Reef Devils

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can soak mysis or flake. I like flake because it’s dry and absorbs liquid better. I just pour some Restor in a cup alone without saltwater so the flakes absorb Restor without being diluted. I use PE mysis flakes, the torches already eat mysis. But any high quality flake should work. Then turn off coke and gently squirt some into the torch and it should grab them and eat them

You can also vary and do the same method with aminos on alternating days. Reef energy ab+ Is a good one
I will order some restor and flakes. Thanks for your help.

What does the restor do to help the torch?

OP
OP
MattPLaw

MattPLaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It aids LPS in tissue regrowth - mainly from fragging or bleaching, but can be used for any type of tissue damage. It’s amino acids and supplements to aid LPS health and recovery

Your tip about soaking flakes in restor is gold. I noticed that restor is less dense than salt water, so when spot fed it just floats away. Which baffled me because the instructions explicitly say it is designed to be spot fed.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Your tip about soaking flakes in restor is gold. I noticed that restor is less dense than salt water, so when spot fed it just floats away. Which baffled me because the instructions explicitly say it is designed to be spot fed.

I had the same experience. I have no idea how they expect people to spot feed it.

I tried soaking food in sw + Restor but my feeling is that the food was just absorbing saltwater and not the Restor. At best it would be heavily diluted

That’s when I decided to just soak dry food in Restor by itself to guarantee its absorbed. I find flake is most absorbent. I soak it for 10 min so the food is nice and soggy - with Restor. Then use a baster and squirt right into the torch tentacles. Or Cynarina. Or plate. Or acans. Or anything needing a boost

Reefing_addiction

SBB fed the Addiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I just purchased what looked like a healthy torch frag, but when I got it home I noticed an issue. With the polyp receded I could see that part of the skeleton is exposed and flesh is gone from a sliver of the skeleton. It has been in my tank for about an hour and a half now and it has extended back out, and otherwise looks happy. I have put it in a low flow portion of my sand bed to acclimate.
Does this look like something that it can heal from? Or does this sort of wound kill a polyp?

Thanks!

20240608_155352.jpg 20240608_155402.jpg
So what @VintageReefer said

I’ve had corals come in from shipping that way and they have recovered.

I recently had an incident in my tank where I traumatized my entire garden and they recovered

I didn’t do anything special though

I should grab some pictures of the same hammers/frogs that I have of the damaged ones.

I did get two torches recently that the tissue was completed receded. I left them in flower flow for a couple of weeks then moved them to higher flow later.

Reef Devils

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It aids LPS in tissue regrowth - mainly from fragging or bleaching, but can be used for any type of tissue damage. It’s amino acids and supplements to aid LPS health and recovery

Thanks for the help. I hope this stuff work and the white flesh band on the torch stops receding.

Reef Devils

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience. I have no idea how they expect people to spot feed it.

I tried soaking food in sw + Restor but my feeling is that the food was just absorbing saltwater and not the Restor. At best it would be heavily diluted

That’s when I decided to just soak dry food in Restor by itself to guarantee its absorbed. I find flake is most absorbent. I soak it for 10 min so the food is nice and soggy - with Restor. Then use a baster and squirt right into the torch tentacles. Or Cynarina. Or plate. Or acans. Or anything needing a boost
Why would the white flesh band on the torch be receding? All parameters are on point and the torch opens up fully every day.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So what @VintageReefer said

I’ve had corals come in from shipping that way and they have recovered.

I recently had an incident in my tank where I traumatized my entire garden and they recovered

I didn’t do anything special though

I should grab some pictures of the same hammers/frogs that I have of the damaged ones.

I did get two torches recently that the tissue was completed receded. I left them in flower flow for a couple of weeks then moved them to higher flow later.

They can recover on their own, in good conditions and lower flow. Giving them some extra vitamins and aminos and nutrients can help the process

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Why would the white flesh band on the torch be receding? All parameters are on point and the torch opens up fully every day.

if all parameters are in acceptable ranges and we rule that out, it could be nutrient deficiency, too much flow, or an unknown thing causing stress such as a crab/shrimp/fish picking at it

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Fully open means little sadly. It’s like a cat or dog hiding a symptom - you would never know something is going wrong until it’s more serious.

Look at this torch. I took pics right now. Fully open. Appears healthy and fine

914C7B14-DF01-474D-B137-1DE25200AB81.jpeg

However. Look at the base
CC259A7E-70F8-4E3D-BEF1-53EF17839864.jpeg

2CD78A08-5914-45C6-B14E-3E7B997BF7F8.jpeg

This is a rescue from another tank. The base was hidden by other corals. I don’t normally view that tank at night. I’m not sure when this started or why, only thing I can think of is that nitrates were 26 in that tank and I don’t spot feed corals. This guy still grew from a tiny head into a noticeably larger torch but started declining without my awareness

I’ve moved it into my main system with numerous healthy torches and better conditions and am attempting to save it.

Reef Devils

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if all parameters are in acceptable ranges and we rule that out, it could be nutrient deficiency, too much flow, or an unknown thing causing stress such as a crab/shrimp/fish picking at it
Nitrate - 9.6
Phosphate - 0.03
I can send u a video of flow tomorrow.
I haven’t seen Andy crab/shrimp/fish mess with it.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back