Torch Coral Bleaching HELP

James7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I bought my first Indo Torch coral from a fish store. After 12 hours later (Since I was driving, kept it in my icebox to maintain water temperature), and put in my tank last night. I saw some tiny transparent residues (may be this is coral flesh) are in the plastic bag, so I thought fish store water wasn't clean. However, torch coral looked ok because torch tentacles were somehow moving.

After about 10 hours later in the morning, I see the coral start bleaching. I see white bone on edges of the coral with something transparent residues were fell apart from it (I think this is coral flesh). Good thing is torch tentacles are still there in the center, but staying shrunk.

I have a 1 year old 20 gallon tank with very healthy two clownfish. No algae. looks very clean.

I checked my water conditions. Salinity is 1.0225 And PH is around 6.8.

Mg kind of mineral things I don't know, but pretty sure it has.
I am planning to add more salt to raise salinity above 1.023, and buy crushed coral to raise PH.
Any thoughts what mainly caused bleaching my coral overnight?

First photo : in a bag
Second photo : Last night
Third photo : Today morning.

My question : Will my coral recover and survive from raising salinity and PH??

Thanks in advance.

PXL_20240522_052635306.jpg PXL_20240522_055058872.jpg 20240522_095748.jpg

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can recover and has a decent flesh band but it is pretty ticked off from acclimating. Get it out of the sand and put it on the rock with medium flow and light and then let it be and only observe. Go to Tidal Garden’s website and look up torch coral care. Very good and detailed information.

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello

I bought my first Indo Torch coral from a fish store. After 12 hours later (Since I was driving, kept it in my icebox to maintain water temperature), and put in my tank last night. I saw some tiny transparent residues (may be this is coral flesh) are in the plastic bag, so I thought fish store water wasn't clean. However, torch coral looked ok because torch tentacles were somehow moving.

After about 10 hours later in the morning, I see the coral start bleaching. I see white bone on edges of the coral with something transparent residues were fell apart from it (I think this is coral flesh). Good thing is torch tentacles are still there in the center, but staying shrunk.

I have a 1 year old 20 gallon tank with very healthy two clownfish. No algae. looks very clean.

I checked my water conditions. Salinity is 1.0225 And PH is around 6.8.

Mg kind of mineral things I don't know, but pretty sure it has.
I am planning to add more salt to raise salinity above 1.023, and buy crushed coral to raise PH.
Any thoughts what mainly caused bleaching my coral overnight?

First photo : in a bag
Second photo : Last night
Third photo : Today morning.

My question : Will my coral recover and survive from raising salinity and PH??

Thanks in advance.

PXL_20240522_052635306.jpg PXL_20240522_055058872.jpg 20240522_095748.jpg
Imo the tank looks far too new for a torch coral. Even some people who have all sorts of hammer coral have struggles keeping torches.
The third photo looks pretty rough but as long as there is a fleshband around the coral it still has a fighting chance.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back