Torch coral spilting?

Lavabrine ninja

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 6, 2021
Messages
193
Reaction score
51
Location
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was feeding my tank and notice this on the torch coral and is it spilting or is it damage?

20250107_142626.jpg 20250107_142515.jpg
 
I was feeding my tank and notice this on the torch coral and is it spilting or is it damage?

20250107_142626.jpg 20250107_142515.jpg
I can’t see anything in the picture. It’s to blurry and blue. Try to take one closer up and under white or natural light.
 
I can’t see anything in the picture. It’s to blurry and blue. Try to take one closer up and under white or natural light.
I just turn the lights on so ima give it a but then take another picture. But it looks like it's mouth is open. Is that good or should I be worry?
 
That doesn't look to be splitting or damaged. When splitting, you'll start to see a transition from one round head to a "figure 8" and finally two round heads.

From the pics at least, it looks like it's only getting flow from one side. Torches never survive long term without random, gentle flow from all directions in my experience.
 
Still hard to tell. Can't really see the white tissue that bands around the base of the torch. I know one head of a torch is splitting into two when I see that tissue becoming thicker, it takes weeks to some months but once that starts happening you can clearly see splits
 
That doesn't look to be splitting or damaged. When splitting, you'll start to see a transition from one round head to a "figure 8" and finally two round heads.

From the pics at least, it looks like it's only getting flow from one side. Torches never survive long term without random, gentle flow from all directions in my experience.
Should I move it or keep it where it's at?
 
Should I move it or keep it where it's at?
Impossible to tell from those pics. If you post a short video showing the coral in normal flow it'll be more helpful.

Let the coral tell you what it needs. If it's retracting on the side getting more flow, move it. If it seems to be extended with a good flesh band, leave it be. I have a torch that thrives in brutally strong flow where others are happier in near stagnant water.

I've had the most success when the flow has torches gently moving from side to side with occasional, moderately turbulent blasts.
 
Impossible to tell from those pics. If you post a short video showing the coral in normal flow it'll be more helpful.

Let the coral tell you what it needs. If it's retracting on the side getting more flow, move it. If it seems to be extended with a good flesh band, leave it be. I have a torch that thrives in brutally strong flow where others are happier in near stagnant water.

I've had the most success when the flow has torches gently moving from side to side with occasional, moderately turbulent blasts.
 

Attachments

  • 20250108_123716.mp4
    21.8 MB
That doesn't look too terrible. Possibly a little one sided but not as bad as the pictures implied.

Is the left side where polyps are retracted getting hit with more flow?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new