titos_tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently notices this today! It looks like the torch is shrinking. Little worried!
Parameters-
Alk-10
Cal-465
Mag-1300
Pho-.02
Nitrate-5
Salinity- 1.025

Flow was hitting it pretty rough, so I moved it a bit. Hopefully that'll help. Would flow make it recede like that?

2DDC3BFE-A5B2-4973-9186-A127FE1A6B98.jpeg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as everything is stable then yes too much flow can cause damage and irritation.

Watch it a couple more days in the lower flow area and if it continues then there could be a different issue.

OP
OP
T

titos_tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as everything is stable then yes too much flow can cause damage and irritation.

Watch it a couple more days in the lower flow area and if it continues then there could be a different issue.
Awesome! I’ll keep an eye on it! Appreciate the help!

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a similar situation. In the last few days, the torch and one acan do not look well.
Alk - 9.6
Calc - 435
Magn - 1425
No3 - 14.6
Phos - .03
The torch is getting thinner. The acan outer edge is losing color.
Ideas?

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your numbers don't look bad so maybe flow or lighting?
Thanks. The lights have not changed. The gyre was cleaned two weeks ago. I would think that would mean my flow is back to the stronger flow, which I would expect the torch to like.

The tank is 18 months old.

I retested tongith and the ALK is up 9.7. And Phos .05.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
for both OP with issues. . . . If you have leather corals, this may be part of the issue. Many leather coral species produce and release toxic chemicals, called terpenes, into the water to protect themselves and to stunt the growth of other species. One of the biggest problems I have seen beginner hobbyists have is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature around 78 degrees
Specific gravity of about 1.025
Ph of about 8.2
Calcium level of about 400 ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The lights have not changed. The gyre was cleaned two weeks ago. I would think that would mean my flow is back to the stronger flow, which I would expect the torch to like.

The tank is 18 months old.

I retested tongith and the ALK is up 9.7. And Phos .05.
Torches like moderate flow that randomly alternates intensity and direction

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for both OP with issues. . . . If you have leather corals, this may be part of the issue. Many leather coral species produce and release toxic chemicals, called terpenes, into the water to protect themselves and to stunt the growth of other species. One of the biggest problems I have seen beginner hobbyists have is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature around 78 degrees
Specific gravity of about 1.025
Ph of about 8.2
Calcium level of about 400 ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting.
VetteGuy,
My calcium is holding above 400 - for the past month has been in the 470-450 range and the last two tests at 435. I adjusted the doser to push it a bit higher to aim for 450.
My Ph is usually 7.9. Pumping in outside air I can get 8.1.
Mixing water now, so hopefully doing a water change tomorrow evening.
As far as leathers - I have a 5" Devil's Hand and one smaller leather. From your post, I am thinking I should start running some charcoal and see if the torch gets happier.
Thank you

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VetteGuy,
My calcium is holding above 400 - for the past month has been in the 470-450 range and the last two tests at 435. I adjusted the doser to push it a bit higher to aim for 450.
My Ph is usually 7.9. Pumping in outside air I can get 8.1.
Mixing water now, so hopefully doing a water change tomorrow evening.
As far as leathers - I have a 5" Devil's Hand and one smaller leather. From your post, I am thinking I should start running some charcoal and see if the torch gets happier.
Thank you
I have the same leathers and run carbon 24 7 in my sump in a bag.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back