Torch 'restarting' during midday?

trapphd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all — added a beautiful new Freezerburn torch to my tank a few weeks ago on July 18. It has done really well overall, but, over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed that it tends to close up (almost like a feeding response, rather than a stress response) a few hours into the lighting schedule (anywhere from noon to 2pm), then fluff up again and extend fully over the course of the next hour or two until the nighttime cycle. Is this likely to be a problem, or is the torch simply still adjusting and adapting? My parameters don't fluctuate during the course of the day and, like I said, when it's open, it looks fantastic. The only potential option would be to move it lower — maybe on the sandbed rather than midway on top of a cave structure? Any insight (or similar experience) would be greatly appreciated!

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be OK. I have a torch that does something similar. and usually its a shrimp or something just massing with him or the current hits it just right to get that response. As long as it's opening back up.

OP
OP
trapphd

trapphd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be OK. I have a torch that does something similar. and usually its a shrimp or something just massing with him or the current hits it just right to get that response. As long as it's opening back up.
Glad to hear! And agreed, I'm not worried about its health as long as it continues to open back up promptly and extend like it should. If it continues, though, maybe I'll have to entertain what it could be attributed to (such as location) and tweak its placement a bit.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back