Torch skeleton shattered

champyeti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gluing down my frags and while removing the torch head from the frag plug, the skeleton completely shattered... multiple pieces of the skeleton have parts of the torch on them.

It's my Dragon Soul torch so I will be so cut up if it dies.

What do you even do when this happens? Can the cut-up pieces survive?
20191108_210427.jpg

You can see the two main pieces it got split into in the pic.

Please tell me I didn't accidentally kill my DS :(

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the 2 pieces in the upper left and lower right corner should be okay, but the little fragments in between probably won't make it. This is how corals frag themselves in the wild when waves break off parts of their skeleton, so your torch should bounce back. At least you will have 2 now :)

OP
OP
champyeti

champyeti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the 2 pieces in the upper left and lower right corner should be okay, but the little fragments in between probably won't make it. This is how corals frag themselves in the wild when waves break off parts of their skeleton, so your torch should bounce back. At least you will have 2 now :)
The big thing in the upper left is a difference torch and the lower right is my gold Hammer, the little fragments are the torch - it was a small head but doing well and getting more gold.

I hope it can bounce back into two ;Dead

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That other torch is showing a lot of skeleton, has it been that way or is it receding? Your broken small torch might have a chance but only if your tanks parameters are good, which is why I would be concerned with the other torch showing skeleton.

OP
OP
champyeti

champyeti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That other torch is showing a lot of skeleton, has it been that way or is it receding? Your broken small torch might have a chance but only if your tanks parameters are good, which is why I would be concerned with the other torch showing skeleton.
Wow, I was going to say I think that torch was just upset I had pulled it out of the water to glue down, but I came home from work today and most of it was brown jelly... very perceptive.

Something is definitely up with my parameters. Sigh. If it's not one thing it's another huh?

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I was going to say I think that torch was just upset I had pulled it out of the water to glue down, but I came home from work today and most of it was brown jelly... very perceptive.

Something is definitely up with my parameters. Sigh. If it's not one thing it's another huh?

Oh, no! I wish you luck in salvaging it. I’ve only dealt with brown jelly once and it was from a hammer that I tried to save from someone else’s tank. It didn’t survive, but I’m also not a coral rehabber.

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you update us on your torch. Were curious to know if it made it. My nephew just cracked his torch in half and he's crying right now
I feel so bad for him.
20211208_002240.jpg
20211208_002123.jpg

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any updates?
I just did this to my NY Nicks frag!!!
i can see the meat behind the mouth. Dropped it in my tank with water-weld putty, I HOPE IT SURVIVES!!

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
I just did this to my NY Nicks frag!!!
i can see the meat behind the mouth. Dropped it in my tank with water-weld putty, I HOPE IT SURVIVES!!
I have had this happen to hammer corals before. From my experience there isn't much hope for survival. But hopefully your outcome is different. Post an update if it makes it!

andresantos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me few times with Euphyllias. I always deep them in iodine and ciprofloxacyn. So far only lost 1 torch head , few others and all the other Euphyllia corals survived, about 4 frogspawn, 1 hammer head .

Back